How to install Mandrive LE2005 and delete Ubuntu

Guest CoriolisSTORM

Guest CoriolisSTORM

As much as I hate to do it, I just went out and bought a magazine that had the newest MandrivaLE2005 version in it. I have Ubuntu on my PC right now with a dual boot with XP. Now, due to having to download so much stuff, a non working winmodem, and a dislike of Gnome, I want to change to Mandriva. I got my Ubuntu partitio removed, and now need to let Mandriva take the free space there and use it. However, my PC will not boot from a DVD-ROM. It reads it, or acts like it, and continues to boot XP. I've tried the boot floppy method in the install.txt file, ant it gave me an error and said to insert another disk. The floppy is good, but my DVD-ROM drive will not work with it. Any ideas? And does Mandriva have anything like the Synaptic Package Manager Ubuntu has? And finally, how easy is it to set up an Agere winmodem in Mandriva? It will not work under Ubuntu.

Edited by CoriolisSTORM

Do you have a cdrom from where you can boot? Then try the boot.iso (it's about 15Mb). With that you can a lot of install options (network, dvd, hd etcetc)

Mandrake has urpmi: it basically does the same (there is a whole dicussion on this board soemewhere about the subject). Read the faqs about urpmi.

I don't know.

Guest CoriolisSTORM

Well, I got it installed, but it wont boot Mandriva. I get an error where it starts to activate the swap partitions.

Activating swap partitions  /dev/hda7: Invalid Argument  [FAILED]

Checking file systems

fsck ext3/dev/hda8:

The Superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2 filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2 filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else) then the superblock is corrupt and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:

e2fsck -b 8193 <device

Bad magic number in superblock while trying to open /dev/hda8 failed to check filesystem.  Do you want to repair the errors?

When I go to yes, the repair fails too. I deleted my Ubuntu partition, and let the Mandriva installer use the free space from that to create its own partition. Did I do something wrong? Maybe I should've formatted the partition first? If it means anything, I already have a C: (windows, NTFS), D: (recovery partition, locked FAT32), and K: (for swapping files between the 2 and also FAT32.) Ubuntu was on its own partition not listed here nor is its swapspace intact anymore as it was deleted too.

edit:

I got it installed, I had to remove this version, and redo it, and not install so many packages at once. I just left the default ones, it appears I had selected maybe a few incompatible ones.

Edited by CoriolisSTORM

I have found that by using the Live-CD versions

of a potential Distribution as a test that will

give you a pretty good idea if a full install will

work. In the case of Mandriva I use MOVE. If you

can boot a Live-CD Move on a system, and it all

works, it's likely you will be able to install

Mandriva LE 2005 on that same system.

Also, if you are creating your own install disks

from ISO try to use the same system/drive as you

created them on and create the disks at 1/2 speed.

Mandriva LE 2005 use MOVE (Live-CD)

Ubuntu use the Ubuntu Live-CD