Need help setting up systems on a network

Guest HudsonHawk

Guest HudsonHawk

Hi I've been using SuSE for a year or so (verison 8.2 pro and 9.2 pro) and have recently switched to Mandrake/Mandriva 2005 (Download) and have found the boot up time and first launch times on the programs to be superior to SuSE so Im planning on using Mandrake from here on out. Im still a linux n00b and have only really used it as a windows alternative for web browsing, OpenOffice and Gimp.

I've moved in to new lodgings and we're setting up a network that i need(would like) several things from.

We have:

LinkSys WiFi router

HP Wirless network lazer jet that i want all systems to be able to access.

An AMD Athlon 2600+ based Desktop system dual booting XP Home and Man' 2005 that i want to run MonoDevelop and fuction as a Sky+/Tivo box under linux.

An 800Mhz Athlon system with 512 Ram that i want to run Linux on and use as a Voice chat server for our LAN, firewall and a dumping ground for files that "overflow".

I want this stowed away with no monitor and able to access it remotley via the Athlon 2600+ system. Also want it to startup and auto launch the voice & firewall software when switched on.

3 Win XP Home Laptops on Wi Fi.

The points i need help on are:

* TV recording Hardware and Software that funcitons under Mandrake linux.

* Getting all the systems running together on the network

* Linux LAN Voice Chat sofware.

* Firewall software.

* How to remotley access the stowed computer?

* Is the 800 Mhz PC upto what i want it to do? and is Mandrake the optimal disrto to run on it?

I know thats asking a lot but i tried google in and the amount of answers and possible software or hardware set ups are mind boggling and a shunt in the right direction or a hand full of usefull links would be great thanks.

Thanks,

HH.

[moved from Software by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

I'll try to answer some, not all..

* Linux LAN Voice Chat sofware.

try Gnomemeeting

* Firewall software.

shorewall or guardog 9try to search here, there are threads already discussing firewall

* How to remotley access the stowed computer?

you must have ssh server on that box, then access / administrer it via ssh

To setup a network you should first set a strategy: adresses, what to be share and on what machine, by whom, ...

Start with the router's base address and give an ip address to each machine. This is a simple and efficient way to setup and debug access problems (my own old experience ....) If possible avoid DHCP or only for accasional acces to the network.

Set the main file server on a linux machine. It needs a dedicated ip for the win machines access the share on the form \\192.168.0.5\myshare (better than defining a master domain controler with samba)

For the management from a linux machine use webmin,linneighborhood, for sharing use samba and swat, all accessible by a web interface. For win management try vnc. All work based on ssh/ssl.

Try and choose the one you love most. But never forget to read the docs ...(samba is not very clear at start...)

Don't try to setup all at the same tine but one after eatch other and be sure to test the architecture.

First base ip network, then admin, then file sharing, .....

The firewall will be better on a single oldie machine dedicated. It doesn't need a fast cpu.

Last, be aware xp home can have problems about networking. xp pro semmes a little better ;)

Hope this will help a bit :beer:

Edited by ellianef

• 2 weeks later...

The above suggestions for firewall are OK (Firewall Builder is far superior but also more difficult to handle), GnomeMeeting is fine (there's also analogous software for KDE if you want to toy a little), and for remote access if you are unfamiliar with the command shell you can use any VNC client/server solution (e.g. TightVNC is included in Mandy's packages), or Screen (exhellent app, a bit fiddlier to use than VNC).

The other suggestion (webmin) is also a great administation tool- it can be even used as a firewall frontend with good results, and it's rather easy to manage.

Edited by scarecrow