help me

Guest BlackMagix

Guest BlackMagix

Having problems when it asks me to insert Disk 3 it comes up with this error message

Some Important packages didn't get installed properly. Either your CD-ROM drive or your CD-ROM on an installed computer using "cpm -qpl mandrake/RPMS *.RPM"

its Mandrake 8.2 and i've burned x2 CD's and neither of them work any help would be great

There are some standard steps in this problem:

Did you check the iso's md5sum? This verifies the integrity of the downloaded file.

If your burn is good, which you indicate, and the md5sum is good, or if you have a commercially produced set, the next thing is to install using expert mode, and tell mandrake you only have the frst cd. If that works, you can add the packages after you have a running system.

The message does not make sense to me, did you quote it correctly?

There are others who will know this error better than me. Try the basic install with the first cd, or even the first two, since the error occurs on the third. Once you are up, it is easy to see what programs are on the third cd, and you can install them. I recommend using urpmi in a console, rather than Mandrake software manager. (Although in 8.2, the Mandrake gui worked ok for me)

There is an option at the beginning of the installation process that asks if you want to install or update. You can choose to update, but I personally have never had a good experience doing an update. I prefer to do a clean install, but I preserve my keeper files in my /home directory, which I do not format during an install. I always use expert, and format my other partitions, which erases them. I set up four partitions: /root, /home, /usr, and swap. There are others here that have better schemes.

I would also recommend that, if you are fairly new to linux, installing 9.0 rather than 9.1. 9.1beta 2 is an experimental release, and is possibly buggy. When Mandrake switches to a release candidate number, like 9.1rc1, it is closer to a final version and fewer insects! (bugs)