Xorg & XFree86

ilia_kr

XFree was the main X windows server for the Linux platform. At some stage last year the project was branched with development halting completely on XFree, but continuing on the Xorg branch.

So, basically, Xorg is the reincarnation of XFree - they were identical to begin with, but now XFree is dead and Xorg has continued development.

Not quite true, but this issue is still hot, and time will give us a better view of the "battlefield". This isn't an "all-good vs. all-bad" situation, actually.

scarecrow did a roughtly good summary.

Yves.

Not quite true, but this issue is still hot, and time will give us a better view of the "battlefield". This isn't an "all-good vs. all-bad" situation, actually.

scarecrow did a roughtly good summary.

Yves.

Eh? Battlefield? It's just one group of developers leaving a project and another group picking up where they left off... what do you mean?

Sure. Things stand as you say as far as developers are concerned. I was rather refering to the hot debates (supposedly by users not developers) that surround the issue. I was not clear enough. Bye :)

Yves.

Sure. Things stand as you say as far as developers are concerned. I was rather refering to the hot debates (supposedly by users not developers) that surround the issue. I was not clear enough. Bye :)

Yves.

Ah! Now I understand... didn't know that though, interesting. I didn't realise there was enough room for debate - it seemed pretty simple to me.

Thanks for the clarification :cheesy:

Aye, Xfree86 is dead.

I had a look at the mailing list the other week, there was more spam on it than content. I could count on my fingers how many posts there were from devs in a month, and even then, half of them were answering 'no' to questions like Is Xfree86 or this mailing list dead?.

iphitus

XFree86 is not dead. Just any release after version 4.3.0 is GPL troubled.

Thats one bad thing about Debian proper (and Mepis). They are stuck on 4.3 when the current version is 4.5. No upgrades or bug fixes because of the new license.

Sooner all Distro move to xorg the better.