Install Nvidia driver on kernel 2.6.12.3 [solved]

Guest danne

Guest danne

Hi

I install new version kernel from mandrake cooker -2.6.12.3 and kernel-source 2.6-2.6.12.3

After I try install Nvidia driver 7174 from nvidia.com

Install don't work ... sh Nvidia.....run

with -kernel-source-/usr/scr/linux install complete but modprobe nvidia don't work

Work Nvidia driver on kernel 2.6.12 and gcc 4.0 ??

As you said, the Cooker kernel you installed was compiled with gcc-4.0. ($ cat /proc/version will tell you for sure.) If you have 10.1 or LE2005, your system has gcc-3.4 installed. So when you try to build and install the Nvidia driver on your system, it's built with gcc-3.4 and the gcc version mismatch with the Cooker kernel causes failure. There's seeral ways to make thi swork, none really easy:

1. Recompile the Cooker kernel on your system to get a gcc version match.

2. Install gcc-4.0, leave gcc-3.4, have 2 versions installed and figure out how to compile the Nvidia driver using gcc4.0.

3. Go to a full Cooker install so you gcc-4.0 as the default compiler, then compile nad install the Nvidia driver..

4. Revert to a kernel compiled with gcc-3.4.

#4 is easy, quick, and should be an effective fix for your problem.

Do what you want, but I'd do #4 first, #1 second, #3 only if I'm feeling really adventurous, and try to forget I ever saw #2. It's possible, but can be messy and I can't recommend it.

You should also be aware that gcc-4.0 seems to have some problems and is still being sorted out.

But I install kernel from RPM package not manual compile kernel

Exactly. So you did not compile it with gcc-3.4 on your system. And the Cooker kernel rpm you installed was probably compiled with gcc-4.0. Like I said:

$ cat /proc/version

...will tell you for sure, if you are booted into that kernel.

I thing that nvidia install on gcc 4.0 ..why not ?

I don't use an Nvidia card and have never built and installed the driver. So I probably never should've answered your question in the first place. But I think installing the Nvidia driver requires compiling it on your system and inserting the resulting module.

Now, you're right that there's probably no reason the Nvidia driver won't compile with gcc-4.0, but that's not what you're using on your system. Unless you are running a full Cooker installation, you have gcc-3.4, which comes with either 10.1 or LE2005. So compiling the driver with the gcc-3.4 version installed on your system results in a mismatch with your Cooker kernel, because it was compiled with gcc-4.0. In other words, the Nvidia driver and the kernel it is used with must be compiled with the same compiler (gcc) or at least compatible versions. And gcc-3.4 and gcc-4.0 are not cross-compatible.

You have the 4 choices I discussed before, but maybe having 2 versions of gcc (option #2) installed and choosing which to use for a given job isn't as difficult as I was thinking. You might also want to check out this thread:

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=26622

...and ask rolf for more detailed guidance about how to go about doing it.