Why am I getting this? ATI related?

dtwconsulting

and more importantly, how do I fix it ??

I have been having too much trouble trying to get my ATI X700Pro video card to do 3D graphics. I came across this site and was reading through some of the post in regards to ATI graphics cards.

So, I was wanting to do some of the checks on the posts states.

When I type glxinfo|grep direct I get the following error message:

Couldn't open required GL library /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.4.502!

The closest file I have is: libGL.so.1..2

I'm thinking that this is installed by the ATI installer, but I am not sure. It has todays date on it and I ran the installer today. So,it could be that the ATI installer doesn't check dependencies.

I'm running LE2005.

I had an idea. I did a sym link for libGL.so.1.4.502 to point to libGL.so.1.2 and then I ran glxinfo. Here is what I got (and it doesn't look good)

name of display: :1.0

Loading required GL library /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.4.502

Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":1.0".

Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual

visual x bf lv rg d st colorbuffer ax dp st accumbuffer ms cav

id dep cl sp sz l ci b ro r g b a bf th cl r g b a ns b eat

----------------------------------------------------------------------

0x22 24 tc 1 0 0 c . . 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 None

Mind you, I am loged in via VNC so I'm not sure if that would cause a problem too.

This is what you'll need to do.

1. Install mesa (it will install it's associated libmesa rpms too).

2. Add the following section to xorg.conf (if it doesn't exist already)

Section "DRI"

Mode 0666

EndSection

also check the file to make sure you have "load dri" (without quotes) in the file. If it has a # before it, then remove, so that it can be loaded, and you should be OK. I've never had to check this, but I've seen the odd occasion when you've needed to.

Might be worthwhile removing the sym link you created earlier for the time being, just in case.....

Ok,

I added the "DRI section to the end of the xorg.conf file and I set the driver to ATI Radeon (fglrx). For now I am not going to re-start the x-server because of 2 reasons:

1). I am logged in via VNC

2). I am not at the machine and the last time I chose this option (albeit without adding the Section "DRI" the machine just crashed :( )

So, when I get home tonight I'll restart X (what's the best way to do this besides re-booting the machine??).

I'm assuming that the ATI installer has installed some package(s). Anyone know what they are and if I need to remove them or not?

Thanks all.

Easiest way is open a terminal and su and supply root password and type init 3. This will close X. Then after, login and su and root password again, and type init 5, which'll give you the GUI back. ALT-F7 and you'll be able to see the gui, login and continue.

I tend to just reboot, as if you then ALT-F1 again, you can see a session still logged in from where you typed init 5.

Some people also use CTRL-ALT-Backspace, but I find this doesn't really restart X as such, just tends to log you out.

As for the ATI installer, not entirely sure. Not used it myself, the machine I have with the ATI card in, is still using the ATI drivers that came with LE2005. It worked, and gave 1200fps which is OK for me, so not sure if the ATI drivers would make it better. But then, if it breaks it, then I got to figure a way to go back - so I'll just leave mine :P

Ian,

Well, I did a reboot and the box still crashed.

Attaching a couple of files in the hope that either yourself or anyone more knowledgeable than me on this can perhaps provide more help.

File 1 is the xorg.conf file that was created after selecting the ATI fglrx driver.

File 2 iis the Xorg log file that was created when booting with the ATI driver.

Really hoping that someone can help on this since I'd love to get 3D acceleration working.

xorg.conf.txt

Xorg.0.log.txt

That's odd, since I can't seen anything obvious. What I'd be tempted to do now, is remove the ATI stuff that was installed, and then attempt to configure the system without it. My LE2005 install works a treat without using the ATI supplied drivers.

All it needs to get it to work are the mesa stuff and the Section "DRI" in the xorg.conf. At least, this is all I did with my ATI Radeon 9250.

Ian,

I was hoping that you wasn't going to say that :(

My problem with the ATI installer is that I have no idea what it installed. How can I find out? I did a rpm -qa|grep -i ati, but that didn't bring anything back.

It's possible that the ATI installer didn't install using rpm and if so, I'd really have no idea what has been installed.

I'm thinking about doing a new install (AGAIN) since this is driving me crazy that I can't get 3D acceleration to work. I just hate having to set up my system again since the rest of it is running pretty good.

Any more suggestions from anyone else?

OK, you would have downloaded an app from ATI which installed it. The filename of the downloaded rpm that you ran, can be found using Remove Programs (System/Configuration/Packages/Remove Software), in KDE (if you can get in OK).

Normally, before the ATI installer released, the app was fglrx....... (rest of filename, whatever it is). If you have difficulties finding the file, type in partial information for the rpm, and you can then filter the list to find it.

Hope that helps for removing and for saving a reinstall.