MenuDrake and speed

Guest G3ck0G33k

Guest G3ck0G33k

Hi

I think MenuDrake is a wonderful thing. Easy to use, intuitive, and all that. But, for me it takes more than a minute to save changes (like one single new icon etc.). At worst, way more than two minutes.

Normally I don't have any serious speed issues, despite my oldish P2-300 MHz with 320 MB-RAM and Mdk 9.0. Yet MenuDrake is terribly terribly slow (and is rivalled only by the installation of new fonts).

Is there anything I can do to speed it up?

Guest HaloScan

I haven't had any problems with urpmi but Menudrake is indeed slow. Saving changes or loading takes longer than it should. On my P2400 it was almost unbearable. Even with a P4 2.4Ghz though, there is still a longer than necessary delay in loading or saving.

Poor coding I guess. :-

Well.. it may be poor coding to you, but you have to remember that menudrake can make changes to the menu system to ALL the Desktop Environment that mandrake includes, not just kde or gnome. In fact, as a test, I tried making change of a menu using menudrake (adding gnomesword icon and put it in edutainment section of the menu) and save the change for all environment. When I checked, the menu is available in kde, gnome, icewm, and xfce (haven't checked other DE yet). Now considering the many ways the window managers have their own menuing system, it is no wonder it takes so long to load and save the menu to your own liking. I think that to do that require more of a brute force of programming method instead of finesse.

Anyway, I think menudrake is a crutch. A very good one but a crutch nonetheless. The faster way to edit your menu is to edit it either using a text editor to edit the required files (something only people very knowledgable would do) or to use the windowsmanager's own menuediting program (which can be tedious if you are using multiple DE). But then again, mandrake is designed for easy for newbies, not professionals. :)

Oh, btw.. menudrake is slow for me, too. That's why I only use mandrake rpms that I know put the required icons and menus instead of requiring me to add them manually. But saving and loading menus using menudrake only takes a minute at most on my computer (spec in sig). How many windows manager do you install?