Hard Drake Failed

Aomighty

So today, I realized that earlier I had mistakenly uninstalled my printer drivers. Anyway, I go into Mandrake Control Center, go to Hardware->Printer, and it starts auto-installing printer drivers to re-set it up. Looking at it, my printer is disabled. Oh well, I'll fix it, I say. I accidentally click on the Mouse buttons back at the Hardware screen, and it starts opening (at the same time I was downloading the driver updates). I don't want it to do that, so I cancel it. At the same time, I was setting the OO.org 1.9-some file assocations to auto-open .odt files. Anyway, the make a long story short, when I closed the Mandrake Control Center and re-opened it, it said at the bottom, "Starting Configure Your Computer," but never opened, and eventually stopped trying. When I shut down, it says it fails to close harddrake. If I try to access things directly, such as System->Config->Floppy Formatter, it works just fine, but Installing or Removing software doesn't. The only one that doesn't work is hard drake. Also, if I type "urpmi harddrake" it gives me this:

Can't locate URPM.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.6/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.6 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.4 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.1 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl .) at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/urpm.pm line 16.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/urpm.pm line 16.

Compilation failed in require at /usr/sbin/urpmi line 22.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/urpmi line 22.

Same thing if I do "urpmi perl" or "urpme perl"

How do I fix this?

Edited by Ao the Unstoppable

It's kinda hard to really trash Linux, I've only had to do a full reinstall once in 4 years, and that was after screwing up my very first install. I ran one install (MDK 8.2) for almost 3 years through many changes and upgrades. But it sounds like you've trashed perl somehow. Simply put, this is bad. Like glib, perl is part of the basic underpinnings in Linux and runs many functions. Seems you managed to create a similar situation to in Windows where maybe you do something like click around on other functions while a program install or update is running and manage to trash a bunch of .dlls.

Maybe someone else here can help, (I hope so) but I can only think of 2 ways outta this:

1. Put your install CD1 in and try to rescue the install.

2. Put you install CD1 in and start over with a fresh installation.

I'd bite the bullet and just do option 2, after backing up, of course. And learn from your past mistakes. I hope you have a separate /home partition. If not, make one before you reinstall.

Would a kernel reinstall do it? I trashed my installation before by deleting the kernel, and it actually worked. Considering deleting a kernel is pretty darn serious, it seems like losing perl is less than that, considering every other program runs quickly.

Thanks for the help.

make sure nothing 'rpm' is still a running process with;

ps -A

from a terminal

if urpmi rmpdrake or anything 'rpm' is running kill it with;

killall <name>

example

killall urpmi

or does this happen after a reboot? If so, it won't help. You could always force an install of these or upgrade from commandline as well. Nothing with the kernel will help.