KPPP and internet [solved]

Guest zecster

Guest zecster

Ok hey is my place right now, I have and dual boot of windows 2000 pro and mandrake 10.1 powerpack. I also have Verzion DSL, in Peabody MA, that has a westell model(2200) series i think. it is connected to my ethenet card and my ethernet card does show that linux sees it. here are my system specs anyways:

P4 2.8 GHZ

1GB Ram

Nvidia GeForce FX5800 256MB VRAM

Sound creative SB Live

on board 1000/100 MB ethernet.

know waht type of infomation do i need to connect thought KPPP or is there something that will work with my service like the program the verizon has for windows. any info or links to this or other programs that will work with mandrake 10.1 powerpack, i would be great.

[moved from Software by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

First, as root, execute the route command in a terminal. This will show that you have a default Gateway IP address that your ISP assigned to your DSL modem. It will also show your network interface (I assume it's eth0, but you need to make a note of what it actually is cause you'll need it below).

Now the problem is that you just can't configure kppp and dialup to your other provider because the default route will still exist. So before you dialup, you will need to delete that default route, as explained below.

Also if you are using the Shorewall firewall, Shorewall by default blocks interface ppp0 since it's configured for eth0 as the Internet connection.

Here are some general steps to take:

Step 1: Configure kppp using the information provided by your dialup ISP. Your interface will be ppp0.

Step 2: As root, modify /etc/shorewall/interfaces to add the following line:

net ppp0 detect

This needs to be added right after the eth0 entry:

net eth0 detect

Then, as root, issue commands: 'shorewall stop' followed by 'shorewall start'

Step 3: Just before launching kppp, as root issue the following command:

route del default

As mentioned above, this will delete the default gateway via the DSL modem.

If you have a local network, you should still have local LAN connectivity after this. You could alternately have issued the command 'ifdown eth0', but this would completely take down eth0 and thus you would have no local network connectivity.

Step 4: Connect via kppp to your dialup provider. You can execute the route command command and you'll see the IP your dialup provider assigned you. Also, DNS will be via the DNS servers of the dialup ISP.

Step 5: After your dialup session is ended and you disconnect, you can then issue the 'ifup eth0' command as root to restore the default gateway to the IP of your DSL modem.

Guest zecster

I just want to make sure that you know this is not a dialup connection, it is DSL. i am just alittle confused becuase you say dialup a few times adn want to make sure that is method should work for me.

Oops, my profuse apologies! I totally misread your question, thinking that you were saying that you had a working DSL connection, but that you wanted to use kppp to dialup to a different ISP <you didn't say that, but I mis-interpreted it that way due to the kppp reference and my reply was for that circumstance>.

Here is a very detailed Linux DSL-HowTo link that may be useful to you:

http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/DSL-HOWTO.html

You should probably give some more details. For example, does your ISP require a PPPoE (PPP over Ethernet) connection? Is it working in Windows? If so, please provide the configuration details of your working Windows setup.

Again, my apologies for misreading your question.

Guest zecster

Well, after 6 attemps of calling Verizon about the same thing i finally got a answer i needed( i guess perseetesce(sp) pays off in the end). I am right now running linux on the internet, finally.

i found out the my modem, Westell 2200, can be accessed like a router through it;s ip (192.168.1.1) and then typing in password and username which i did not know. from there i can have the modem itself make the connection and then my internet works fine through the ethernet, no configuring needed.

thanks for all the help, i am sure i will have many many many more questions in the furture.

Great! Glad you're up and running.

Just in case Verizon didn't give you the manual for the Westell 2200, here it is online (a 10mb pdf file):

http://www.westell.com/content/verizon/2200_userguidec.pdf

It describes how this functions as a NAT Router and has many available features like port forwarding, firewall configuration, DHCP server for local LAN machines, logging, etc.