Praise for LE2005

Rainer

Just a few words of praise and thanks to the Mandriva devs etc - although I'm primarily an Arch/Gentoo/NetBSD/FreeBSD user etc, I still enjoy and appreciate Mandriva etc - personally think Mandriva's still one of the best general purpose desktop distro's out there - Although Ubuntu/Kubuntu are excellent distributions with a promising future (I enjoy using them aswell ;)), they've still clearly got some way to go to rival Mandriva in terms of an "out of the box" experience (not to imply that they're designed to though....) - Mandriva excells with it's Install, Hardware detection, Multimedia, Control centre, unique user-friendly Security architecture, "Mature" code and a plethora of other features - LE2005 is a competent, snappy and polished distro.

Thanks to all the devs etc, and keep up the good work :)

Just my, brief, 2 Euros......... heheh :D

Edited by Rainer

I would agree with most of your post except hardware detection, at one point mandriva did have really good hardware detection but it's not as good anymore, infact if i take the top ten distros from distrowatch and install them on my system they all detect and work with my nforce4 chipset, but mandriva doesn't. ;)

Tools, tools, tools that’s where Mandriva excels. Yep hardware detection can be better but hardware platforms and flavors change daily. My own latest Linux hardware challenge is the Marvel Yukon Gigabit LAN. Mandriva LE 2005 figured it out right out of the ISO. Many Distros didn’t.

Lets face it, hardware manufactures build for XP Home/Pro all stop. I don’t blame them. But Distros using RPM and DEB install/update systems are, IMO, actually better then Billy Gate’s platform for application selection and support. In fact if anything there are just too many to choose from. Lots of tools to Play with.