Read CdRw-disk under Linux?

Joni

Hi again,

I burned a cdrw-disk with InCd in Windows when I had a Windows on my PC. Now Mandrake 10 cannot read the rw-disk. It mounts it automatically, but when clicking the cd-icon I see an empty window. Does Mandrake need some program/etc to acces the disk ( or at least read it ) ? Probably the file system is different and linux needs something read the disk? My mp3's are on the disk and I'd like to get them to linux.

Thanks in advance for your tips for a newbie.

As far as I know, InCD uses a method called packet writing in order to "fake" a floppy like environment. I am not sure whether Mandrake has the ability to read packet written CD enabled by default in the kernel. I know that the ability is very experimental, and more trouble than its worth to enable in linux.

According to the following post, UDF support is available starting with 10.1 and the 2.6 kernel (requires installing the udftools package):

https://mandrivausers.org/lofiversion/index.php/t25960.html

However, the posts go on to say that it can be problematic and perhaps not worth it. I likewise have never had good experience with UDF using InCD. Examples: disks created with UDF format on one CD-RW were not readable on a different CD-RW even though the same version of InCD was installed on both machines. I gave up on it.

Edited by jboy

I burned a cdrw-disk with InCd in Windows when I had a Windows on my PC.....

I find writing Linux ISO anything, CD or DVD, in

a Windows environment is an imperfect art. In fact

I stay away from DVD and use a Mandrake 9.2 system

with a CD-Rom drive run at half speed to burn install

and backup disks. Ya get fewer hockey pucks that way.

:o