aagh! Losing what little hair I have left - Networking Issue

Guest adamsjw2

Guest adamsjw2

Greetings all,

Sorry to be such a frequent poster here, but trying to get a linux machine successfully into our Win2K environment is driving me nuts. As mentioned in a previous thread, I can't print to the shared printer on the Win2k server with Active Directory, nor can I mount a shared directory on the server via Samba Mount Points option in the Mandrake Control Center.

I'm fairly certain the two issues are related. I can ping the server from the linux box either by IP or "server01" name, the default gateway, other computers on the network and I can ping the linux box from anywhere on the network. I've added linuxtest as a Computer in Active Directory.

Here's the setup:

Win2k Server = Server01 IP: 192.168.168.3

Server Gateway (Sonicwall) IP: 192.168.168.1

Linux Box = host name: linuxtest.com IP: 192.168.168.60

Printer = Shared Name: HPLaserJ on the Win2k server

Somethings I've noticed. When I'm trying to mount a shared folder via Samba Mount Point and I Search for Servers, MDK displays the server as server01 (no capital "S") but when I click on it, it doesn't display any of the shares. Also when I type in Konqueror lan: / it indicates "localhost" in the browser address bar.

Where do I begin to chase down the problem. If I can't print this whole endeavor is for naught, which sucks as I need to migrate our Win98 machines to a more secure OS.

Thanks for any assistance

Jim Adams

Maysville KY USA :oops:

Guest adamsjw2

Cannonfodder (which is what I feel like),

Thanks for your quick reply. I'm using MDK 9.0 and I have Samba client installed as well as Lisa. I think I'll need to manually edit a .conf file somewhere, but I'm not sure where as it doesn't appear the MDK is saving my config info from the printerdrake setup.

Any further light to shine in this darkness would be greatly appreciated. I installed RH 8.0 on another partition and it worked wonderfully, but I'm not going to give on on MDK as I like many of its features.

Jim