need help after installation

Guest erRor67

Guest erRor67

Alright, so im a total n00b when it comes to Linux. I downloaded Madrake Linux 2005 LE the DVD version. I installed it and everything.. But when I rebooted my computer and loaded the Linux OS, I get a text screen asking for my username and password. I type "root" for username and my password for the password. Then I get this message:

"[root@localhost ~]#"

And then the screen is empty.. It reminds me of DOS with the black screen, white text and the blinking cursor... but I have no idea what the hell to do or what the hell i did.....

any help would be nice. :help:

EDIT: I typed "startx" but im getting a fatal error...

Edited by erRor67

First: what was the fatal error? Sounds like you did not set up your system (graphics card?) correctly upon install.

Second: did you add a regular user to the system on installation?

More details on how you installed, what your system is, and the errors you have will be helpful.

Finally, welcome to the board. Good luck.

Edited by polemicz

when you are logged in as root, type the following command at the promt (the dos-like black monitor with the white text, as you described it;)):

XFdrake

this will start a graphic setup tool for correcting things in case you made wrong entries during the install. and, as polemicz said, please post the error messages. :)