No wireless with ndiswrapper... there should be

flarefox

Ok, I can go in as root, do a ndiswrapper -l and see that my hardware and driver are both present. Now, when I boot, it says "ndiswrapper device wlan0 not present, delaying install." I go in and do an ifconfig and iwconfig. No wireless anywhere. I try to modprobe ndiswrapper to see if that's the problem. Nope. It says that there is no module named ndiswrapper. What's going on? Is there something I can do to manually force it to start up wireless on another interface or something? I can't use wired in here, so maybe if it took over eth0 or something? I can't for the life of me figure out what is wrong... It worked fine with installing ndiswrapper in 10.1 so I know it works... I have a linksys pci card with speedbooster but I can use the normal non-speedbooster drivers in linux to make it run just fine...yet...there is no interface?

:help:

~Dee

ok, here's exactly what I did:

[root@192 dee]# lspci | grep Network

03:01.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LANController (rev 03)

[root@192 dee]# lspci -n | grep 03:01.0

03:01.0 Class 0280: 14e4:4320 (rev 03)

My modprobe.conf file:

# This file is autogenerated from /etc/modules.conf using generate-modprobe.conf command

alias eth0 e1000

remove snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe -r snd-pcm-oss; /sbin/modprobe --first-time -r --ignore-remove snd-emu10k1

install snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install snd-emu10k1 && { /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss; /bin/true; }

alias eth2 eth1394

install usb-interface /sbin/modprobe uhci-hcd; /sbin/modprobe ehci-hcd; /bin/true

alias eth1 eth1394

alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394

alias wlan0 ndiswrapper

install ndiswrapper /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install ndiswrapper && { loadndisdriver 14e4 4320 /etc/ndiswrapper/bcmwl5.sys /etc/ndiswrapper/wmp54gs/wmp54gs.inf; }

# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

# --- ALSACONF verion 1.0.8 ---

alias sound-slot-0 snd-emu10k1

# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

remove audigy /sbin/modprobe --first-time -r --ignore-remove audigy

install audigy /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install audigy

I added the correct settings for ndiswrapper to it and entered to load ndiswrapper, but got this error:

[root@192 dee]# modprobe ndiswrapper

FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found.

FATAL: Error running install command for ndiswrapper

Yet, I can enter ndiswrapper -l and it will tell me that the hardware is found and the software is present, so I don't understand...is the module different from the program? If so, how do I get the module to work? It never even puts wireless extensions on wlan0, eth0 or any other, yet KDE sees wlan0. When I do ifconfig and iwconfig, it's not there and isn't recognized when I do anything with it.

Guest newkirk
I added the correct settings for ndiswrapper to it and entered to load ndiswrapper, but got this error:

[root@192 dee]# modprobe ndiswrapper

FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found.

FATAL: Error running install command for ndiswrapper

Yet, I can enter ndiswrapper -l and it will tell me that the hardware is found and the software is present, so I don't understand...is the module different from the program?  If so, how do I get the module to work?  It never even puts wireless extensions on wlan0, eth0 or any other, yet KDE sees wlan0.  When I do ifconfig and iwconfig, it's not there and isn't recognized when I do anything with it.

Nothing is gonna work until you resolve the "not found" errors - if modprobe can't find it, it's not inserted into the kernel and nothing happens.

Check with "ls /lib/modules/2.6.11-6mdk/kernel/3rdparty/ndiswrapper" (or whatever subdir of /lib/modules matches your kernel - /2.6*/ usually works) to make sure the module is there. If so, try "depmod -a" then "modprobe ndiswrapper" again. If not, try "rpm -e ndiswrapper" to uninstall and "urpmi ndiswrapper" to reinstall. (presuming you installed from rpm to begin with - if from source, review and retry the make/install process as documented)

j

Are you running 2005LE? If so, then I also had problems after an upgrade. From another (long) posting:

Now, everything works (almost). I can log in, and to my surprise all my settings are alive and well, including Firefox bookmarks, GAIM login, etc. Except, of course, that as usual ndiswrapper has evaporated, so I'm alone in the world, isolated from the net.

Worse, the instructions I had used before no longer worked! The way you deal with ndiswrapper has changed since Mandrake 10.0, so I've been fighting it for the last 2 hours trying to get it to install. Of course, I can't google for the answer because I need the answer to get to google! Arggh!

Thankfully, the same Linux Format cover disk that had 2005LE on it also has ndiswrapper 1.1, and more usefully, the documentation.

Instead of mucking about with lots of stuff in modprobe.conf, obtaining hardware IDs, ndiswrapper seems to be in the kernel already for 2005LE. It also has a vastly simplified installation procedure and it was simply a case of typing "ndiswrapper -i /etc/ndiswrapper/bcmwl5.inf" and presto - I'm back on the net bending your ear... you lucky people

This might be what you're after.

Nothing is gonna work until you resolve the "not found" errors - if modprobe can't find it, it's not inserted into the kernel and nothing happens.

Check with "ls /lib/modules/2.6.11-6mdk/kernel/3rdparty/ndiswrapper" (or whatever subdir of /lib/modules matches your kernel - /2.6*/ usually works) to make sure the module is there.  If so, try "depmod -a" then "modprobe ndiswrapper" again.  If not, try "rpm -e ndiswrapper" to uninstall and "urpmi ndiswrapper" to reinstall.  (presuming you installed from rpm to begin with - if from source, review and retry the make/install process as documented)

j

I mucked around with it like you said and it turns out the problem with it not finding the module is that I use an smp kernel and it was loading one not built for smp and failing. I rebuilt it and now the module loads and even brings up the wlan interface. It tells me I'm connected but I can't send/recieve data. I can't get on the internet or anything! When I do an iwconfig, it tells me this:

Warning: Driver for device wlan0 recommend version 18 of Wireless Extension,

but has been compiled with version 17, therefore some driver features

may not be available...

I'm sure that helps someone, but I have no idea what that means....I mean, I downloaded the latest drivers from the linksys web site, and when I built ndiswrapper, it was using the latest release. I can't for the life of me figure out what I did wrong with it or how to fix that. I tried reloading the module with different drivers (the cd came with 2 of them) and then I tried reloading it with a different device name and everything I could think of, but no luck....any ideas?

This might be what you're after.

I tried what you said and it brought up the interface but, still gives me the error mentioned on the post above... I installed the driver several times and trying out the different drivers on the disc. It brings up the interface every time, but nothing else. :'(

I can't even ping the router.

My Hostname is set to 192.168.1.1 at boot every time. Could that be part of the problem? Where can I change what that is set to at boot?

Edited by flarefox

Ahaha, I wasn't used to having shorwall on. It was rejecting all data sent/recieved through wlan0. That was the problem. For future reference, though, will chaning my hostname be a good thing or bad? If I change it to what I want my pc to be named on the network, will it affect my overall ability to use the internet or just how others on the network see me?

Thanks for the help!

~Dee

Hi, no won't affect your network. I normally configure a hostname, but leave the search domain and zeroconf blank as these aren't normally required. And all works a treat.

The hostname is just how people will view you locally, from what I believe anyway.

Hi, no won't affect your network.  I normally configure a hostname, but leave the search domain and zeroconf blank as these aren't normally required.  And all works a treat.

The hostname is just how people will view you locally, from what I believe anyway.

ok, cool. If this is the case, then I should be able to set it right? I set it in my wlan settings, but every time I boot it is still set to 192.168.1.1 and my IP shows up as that as well for some reason. On wlan0 it's fine, but for programs that use my IP for authentication (my school uses several), this is wrong....what file do I edit to set the hostname and all that so it will reflect my pc more?

~Dee

Guest newkirk

[re: hostname]

ok, cool.  If this is the case, then I should be able to set it right?  I set it in my wlan settings, but every time I boot it is still set to 192.168.1.1 and my IP shows up as that as well for some reason.  On wlan0 it's fine, but for programs that use my IP for authentication (my school uses several), this is wrong....what file do I edit to set the hostname and all that so it will reflect my pc more?

~Dee

As a client, the hostname usually isn't as important - most services, however, will identify themselves partly by the assigned hostname, and the bash prompt will reflect it. (If you ssh to a box, or to dozens sometimes like I do, something distinct, instead of 'localhost', is very handy for quick identification... - it really sucks if you type 'reboot' on the wrong console...)

Check /etc/sysconfig/network - should be a line in there with something like "hostname=omicron.newkirk.us" assigning the hostname, either listing just the host ('omicron' in this example) or the FQDN. (also, /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0, ifcfg-wlan0, etc are the configs for each interface)

Alternately, Mandrakelinux Control Center (drakconf, 'Configure your computer' in the KDE System->Configuration menu) lets you select "Network & Internet", where "Alter miscellaneous internet settings" lets you configure the hostname, and "Reconfigure a network interface" will let you, on the 'Options' tab, set unused interfaces (like eth0/eth1 perhaps) to NOT start at boot, if you don't use anything but wireless. Also, the 'DHCP' tab, if you're using DHCP, controls what hostname it will assign (if any) when it gets the IP and such via DHCP.

When you say "for some reason" the IP is 192.168.1.1 - Is there another interface on the machine using that, or which could get that IP via DHCP, or is it an additional IP on the wireless? A 192.168 IP isn't going to appear completely from nowhere - it's in a configuration or is being assigned on-the-fly (DHCP). ('autoconf' can auto-assign a 169.254.x.x IP 'out of nowhere' though)

Some programs will simply take the first IP they find that is not on device lo. (snmpd just bit me with that - requests came in on the second IP, but it insisted on replying from the first) If there's no way to tell the 'problem' programs what IP to use, and they /are/ just pulling the first, then you have to make sure your wireless is the first IP it will find - take down other interfaces (eth0 or whatever, but not lo) before starting the programs [or permanently if unused], or perhaps set up wireless to be known as eth0 instead of wlan0, and if you have an eth0 already then make it eth1. This is a case of trying to work around a broken program, unfortunately - the correct 'fix' would be in the misbehaving programs themselves...

It's also possible (not enough information) that the problem you're encountering with those programs stems from NAT issues somewhere between WLAN0 and the destination server.

j

It was in the etc/sysconfig/network file that you mentioned. Something set the hostname to 192.168.1.1. What's strange is that there is nowhere in my setup (even the DHCP settings) where it would get that. That's the IP of my wireless router. It's not for use by normal machines. DHCP is only from 100-150, so it wouldn't get it from there. I fixed that now and it seems to work "ok." But there are still many programs that insist the IP for this machine is 192.168.1.1. Thanks for your help! That tells me where to start looking and what to look for! Thanks again!

~Dee