Sound worked in 10.1, but now in 10.2 it doesn't

flarefox

My sound worked out of the box in 10.1. In 10.0 I had to install the driver manually. I didn't expect it to step backward, but maybe I'm doing something wrong? It seems like all the tools are working correctly, alsactl, alsaconf, and kmix, yet I have no sound. I checked the volumes and they are fine. It recognizes every little detail about my card. All the inputs and outputs are there, but there's no sound. The volumes are all up. I even tried adding it to the modprobe and it loads perfectly, but no sound. What on earth could be the problem?

Any help is much appreciated!

~Dee

What might be worthwhile doing is running alsaconf if you haven't already.

If you have, have you tried the test button within Configure My Desktop in KDE? Does it playback sound here?

I've known issues where you don't get sound's for events, etc, but the test button works. If you can check this and report back that would be great.

If not ran alsaconf, give that a go too. You'll need to run it as root.

What might be worthwhile doing is running alsaconf if you haven't already.

If you have, have you tried the test button within Configure My Desktop in KDE?  Does it playback sound here?

I've known issues where you don't get sound's for events, etc, but the test button works.  If you can check this and report back that would be great.

If not ran alsaconf, give that a go too.  You'll need to run it as root.

Yes, I ran alsaconf and that installed flawlessly yet no sound. I changed alsa to run at runlevel 3 as is required (it wasn't set at a runlevel at all), still no sound. I hit the test buttons and tried every sound program I know of to test if the different players were working. It wouldn't bother me to not have any events as long as I can play my oggs. Everything appears to be setup and working yet somewhere it stops. Doesn't seem to be in the configuration yet I checked the playback in windows and it works fine.

Should I just try to reinstall? That seems like a big hassle when it should work out of the box....I did buy the version specifically for the extra support of different cards yet now there are more problems than before. I am very impressed with the speed improvements, though. It's like lightning!

Ok, there are a couple of things we can check and do first.

Firstly, did you check the test button within Configure Your Desktop, and Sound to see if any sound plays with this? Can you report back whether this does work or not.

Secondly, it could be an issue since the upgrade. Type su and supply root password. Then type updatedb - this will update the slocate for our next command. Then type slocate rpmnew. Are any files reported? We may need to replace some. If you can list what rpmnew's are found in your reply, I can see where we can go next to check your sound. But also click the test button in the first point too, to see if we have partial sound or not.

Have you opened up one of the sound mixers such as Kmix and made certain that Master and PCM, in OUTPUT, sliders are near the top (not right to the top) and their buttons are ON i.e. lime green instead of darkgreen ???. Otherwise they are muted so of course you will get no sound. For good measure go to INPUT and make sure the same applies to CD.

Hope this helps. John.

It just occurred to me. When you say there is no sound do you mean you cannot play music or do you mean that you do not get startup sounds and so on ???. These are two different issues and not necessarily connected. What I suggested above is for music.

For sounds go to KDE Control Centre ---->Sounds ---->Sound System -------->General and make sure there is a tick in Enable Sound System and in the tab titled Hardware make sure there is a tick in Full Duplex.

Now if the above is already the case then do the following. Open Konsole, type in ....<kdesu konqueror>...... click enter type in password for root click enter. When konqueror opens just type.... / ..and then type the following :- /home/<your account>/.kde/share/config/knotifyrc. When you click on knotifyrc it will open in Kwrite. If any of the lines has =false then change false to =true for all 3 lines.

Save the changes by clicking on File at the top and then click save. Close out everything and relogin. You should now have sounds.

JB

Edited by AussieJohn

Ok, there are two things I can show you. My modprobe.conf file and a screenshot showing the mixers and sound things. I did exactly as you said and it's all setup correctly. Here's my modprobe.conf file:

# This file is autogenerated from /etc/modules.conf using generate-modprobe.conf command

alias eth0 e1000

remove snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe -r snd-pcm-oss; /sbin/modprobe --first-time -r --ignore-remove snd-emu10k1

install snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install snd-emu10k1 && { /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss; /bin/true; }

alias eth2 eth1394

install usb-interface /sbin/modprobe uhci-hcd; /sbin/modprobe ehci-hcd; /bin/true

alias eth1 eth1394

alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394

alias wlan0 ndiswrapper

install ndiswrapper /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install ndiswrapper && { loadndisdriver 14e4 4320 /etc/ndiswrapper/bcmwl5.sys /etc/ndiswrapper/wmp54gs/wmp54gs.inf; }

# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

# --- ALSACONF verion 1.0.8 ---

alias sound-slot-0 snd-emu10k1

# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

remove audigy /sbin/modprobe --first-time -r --ignore-remove audigy

install audigy /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install audigy

and here is a shot of the screen showing all the settings:

http://studentpages.scad.edu/~dehipp20/screenshot.png

Your post is still confusing me. Is it a no sound such as login notification or a no music problem ???

I can see from your attachment that you have a lot of the settings seemingly correct.

Don´t go into techncalities, just a simple but precise description because I would really like to help you through this.

Cheers. John.

It is both, really. No matter what I run or do I can't listen to any audio file and no system events ever play. I'm completely baffled as to why, also. There is no reason it should be doing this, but it is. What would you suggest? Reinstalling alsa? Installing 10.1 and doing an "upgrade" install rather than a regular format-reinstall?

I am starting to think that your speaker system has given up the ghost. That is about the only thing that is common to both sounds and music.

I don´t think reinstalling the audio software is going to make any difference.

I think you should try to find another audio system that you can plug into the computers audio output.

Please note that on most computer audio stereo output sockets they are coloured blue, so make sure you have picked the correct one. Also make sure you have plugged the audio amplifier into the correct blue socket if you are using an audio card. One unlucky person kept plugging into the mainboards blue audio socket instead of the installed audio cards blue socket. Much embarrassment.

Please continue to let me know how you go.

Cheers. JOHN.

If I am in Windows, the audio works fine. It's an expensive system that I got not more than a year ago from Altec Lansing, so I know it still works. It works just fine when I am in 10.1 as well. It's just LE 2005 that has a problem with it and I will find where the problem is eventually or wait until the next mandrake release and hope it's fixed, haha. I'll try doing an upgrade instead of a clean install and see if that makes a difference. Thanks for the pointers, though. It helps to have someone who knows the ins and outs of mandrake telling me where to look. :)

~Dee

Ok, there are two things I can show you.  My modprobe.conf file and a screenshot showing the mixers and sound things.  I did exactly as you said and it's all setup correctly.  Here's my modprobe.conf file:

# This file is autogenerated from /etc/modules.conf using generate-modprobe.conf command

alias eth0 e1000

remove snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe -r snd-pcm-oss; /sbin/modprobe --first-time -r --ignore-remove snd-emu10k1

install snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install snd-emu10k1 && { /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss; /bin/true; }

alias eth2 eth1394

install usb-interface /sbin/modprobe uhci-hcd; /sbin/modprobe ehci-hcd; /bin/true

alias eth1 eth1394

alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394

alias wlan0 ndiswrapper

install ndiswrapper /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install ndiswrapper && { loadndisdriver 14e4 4320 /etc/ndiswrapper/bcmwl5.sys /etc/ndiswrapper/wmp54gs/wmp54gs.inf; }

remove audigy /sbin/modprobe --first-time -r --ignore-remove audigy

install audigy /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install audigy

and here is a shot of the screen showing all the settings:

http://studentpages.scad.edu/~dehipp20/screenshot.png

From what I can see we have some duplicate entries in here that might be causing the problem. I've gone through similar myself.

At the top of the file you have these lines:

What I suggest is place a # before each of these lines. Them where you have this section:

remove this, and then re-run the alsaconf, it'll add it back in, but will be without the previous information I mentioned just above to place # in front of.

See if that helps any? Let us know.

Hahaha, I feel so stupid now! I did what you said but it still wasn't working, so I dug around in the mixer settings to see what the problem was:

My card requires that all sound output be sent in a digital signal, not analog. As it turns out, there was a tick box buried in there that switched it from analog to digital! Hahaha, :oops:

So, after doing that, the sound coming from Mandrake sounds better than before and much better than windows with the official creative drivers!

Thanks so much! :thanks:

~Dee

Likewise. Congrats.

Please, just out of curiosity what is your adio card and where did you find the setting you mentioned so we will know this for future refernce to maybe help others..

Cheers. John.

I have an Audigy 2 EX HD 24-bit. It's in kmix in the third tab (switches). it's the 4th switch from the right in small type. It was sideways on my kmix in an awkward position, so I didn't think much of it at first. Thanks for the help!

~Dee

Likewise. Congrats.

Please, just out of curiosity what is your adio card and where did you find the setting you mentioned so we will know this for future refernce to maybe help others..

Cheers.                            John.