Problems installing Mandrake 10.1 (X doesn't work)

Guest sairam9

Guest sairam9

The problem is SOLVED! Thank you to ianw1974 and Maldain (from LinuxQuestions.org forums)

It seems like the last step that was required was to set the memory setting for the video card from 1mb to 8mb from the BIOS (Go into bios by, choose System Setup, Go to "Integrated Services", change the last option about "onboard video buffer" to 8MB). And now it works BEAUTIFULLY! :)

Its so nice to see linux on my comp :)

I just have one tiny problem now, before when I said go into linux it used to go into the GUI straight away (and be all distorted). Now when I say go into linux it goes to the text-only interface asking me for my username and password, then I have to type "startx" and then it works.

Does anyone know how to make it go into a "Graphical" "login" screen straightaway? Not critical but would be nice to have a more pleasant welcome screen :) Note that I am choosing "linux" and not "failsafe" or "linux-nonfb" from the LILO screen.

Thank you.

sairam.

Once in the GUI, System/Conguration/Configure Your Computer/Hardware. Select the video card, and then run config tool. There will be an options button, and when you click this you can select run Xorg automatically or similar, and it'll run straight to the GUI, without having to do a startx after login.

Once in the GUI, System/Conguration/Configure Your Computer/Hardware.  Select the video card, and then run config tool.  There will be an options button, and when you click this you can select run Xorg automatically or similar, and it'll run straight to the GUI, without having to do a startx after login.

Do it linux way: as root, open file /etc/inittab and change the line

id:3:initdefault:

to

id:5:initdefault:

. Reboot, and linux will boot straigt to GUI