Hardware Profile and random noob questions

Guest Flukey

Guest Flukey

Right hi guys,

I have just installed Mandrake Linux 10.1 and the GUI is working fantastic, however im having some hardware problems

1. My Microsoft Optical Wheel USB mouse, lights up and works for like five minutes, then all of a sudden stops working but my pressure pad on my laptop works fine. Any reason as to why, i have looked around from any solutions, someone mentioned going into the hardware profile and setting it to autoprobe or something. Where abouts is hardware profile, and would this work?

2. My laptop speakers work but i can't play sound out of them, errrmmm to elaborate on this i here all the system sounds e.g. error messages and turning off, turning on etc... but i can't actually play anything through them like Songs from an Audio disk.

Im running KDE 3.2, ive checked all the sounds settings with KMix and they all seem ok, all the master sound, cd input etc.. is switched on, so it is rather odd why it is not working.

Any ideas?

Oh yes is it possible to run MS Word 2003 in mandrake, if yes how hard is it to install?

Anyhelp would be hugely appreciated.

Flukey :)

I run Open Office and save as a .doc file when I know I will have to step into the lower relms somewhere to read it. :lol: Check it out. I suggest saving a file in native format and then "saving as" when needing an export. 99% of my formating sticks as well.

As for your hardware questions, have a look in Mandriva Control Center (MCC) You will find a plethora of configuration tools.