kimothy

I've extracted firefox into:

'home/kim/ff/firefox-installer'

I changed the directory to

'cd /home/kim/ff/firefox-installer'

then as root I typed

'./firefox-installer'

The reply I get is

'./firefox-installer-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory'

whats wrong? It worked perfectly in mandrake 10.0 yesterday, but in mandriva it fails.

please help. thanks

Edited by kimothy

Go into System/Configuration/Packaging/Install Software.

Click the "All" option, and then scroll down the list looking for libstdc++5. When you find, select and install it.

It probably worked OK in 10.0 as this library was already installed on the system, and at present, is missing from you LE2005 install.

Thank you very much. It works now. I'm new to mandriva, and new to linux. Would you be so kind that you would explain to me why I had to install those files... So that I get a greater understanding og the system.

Thanks, once again

Basically, the app it required is a dependency. Without it, you can't install it.

What might have happened with your previous install, was that something in particular was installed, and this library was installed as part of it. Then when you installed Firefox later, it just worked.

With LE2005, it may have been that a particular application didn't require this library, and hence it wasn't installed on your system. Then when you ran Firefox later, it complained because it wasn't there. Firefox in it's own right, cannot install dependencies, because it doesn't install as an rpm. Therefore you had to install it manually first, then install Firefox.

As to what apps would have initiated the install for this particular library, I've no idea. There's probably quite a few that reference it.

I'm new to mandriva, and new to linux. Would you be so kind that you would explain to me why I had to install those files... So that I get a greater understanding og the system.

If you had installed firefox as an rpm, then the file you needed would have been instaled automagically.

True, if you're after Firefox 1.0.2. The latest version (1.0.4) hasn't made it into the urpmi repositories as of yet - at least not the normal ones such as main, contrib, updates, jpackage, plf-free and plf-nonfree.

The only way I've found an install is through Mozilla's website direct, just not in rpm form :P

True, if you're after Firefox 1.0.2. The latest version (1.0.4) hasn't made it into the urpmi repositories as of yet

I'm not so sure about that for LE2005. 1.0.4 is a security update from firefox to correct a certain security whole. IIRC mandriva update did do something to firefox which may have updated firefox w/o changing the version number. In Help>About Mozilla Firefox, my fierfox is reported as 1.0.2 but the bottom lines read:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050317 Firefox/1.0.4

At any rate, mandriva would typically provide security updates for any package included on their install cds and firefox was included in LE2005.

Edited by pmpatrick

Ah OK, it might be that because I didn't install 1.0.2 from rpm, that I downloaded it direct from Mozilla, which is why I only have 1.0.2 listed.

I can imagine, that if I did install, it would then provide the update in MandrakeLinuxUpdate hopefully.!

I'll just double-check now to make sure! :P

This is a little weird!

I installed mozilla-firefox-1.0.2-3mdk from the main repository. I went into updates, and it wanted to update to mozilla-firefox-1.0.2-6.1.102mdk. So I updated to this, and then afterwards, it showed no updates were available in Software Packages Update.

So, I checked Help/About, and it reported:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050317 Firefox/1.0.4

which is exactly the same as yours.

I'm not entirely convinced that it's actually up-to-date, since the version information from the Firefox downloaded from the Firefox website reports:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.8) Gecko/20050511 Firefox/1.0.4

The difference being that its rv:1.7.8. It shows rv:1.7.6 on the Firefox installed through urpmi and it also shows the date as incorrect (20050317 versus 20050511), which may mean that only the security updates have been addressed. In terms of the aesthetics, it doesn't even look the same as the one you download from the Firefox website.

Even the Firefox 1.0.2 from the Firefox website didn't look like the one through URPMI. It looked exactly like the 1.0.4 does now.

Strange?!? :P

The difference being that its rv:1.7.8. It shows rv:1.7.6 on the Firefox installed through urpmi and it also shows the date as incorrect (20050317 versus 20050511), which may mean that only the security updates have been addressed.

That's it exactly. The latest MDV Firefox rpm is actually 1.0.2, but with the security patches for 1.0.4 included, so for all practical purposes it's just as good as installing the latest version from the Firefox website. This was discussed in another thread here somewhere.

Guest akira

The default Firefox which came with the DVD was version 1.0.2. I had two problems

1. I was concerned about the security pathces introduced in v1.0.4

2. The addon site for themes and extensions would'nt allow me to install because I had an old version

I successfully corrected both problems by updating the package using System > Configuration > MandrakeLinux Update