Gaim upgrading trouble

rohitsz

Greetings there,

i am new to linux. am using MDK 10.1 for about 2-3 months, previously was on FC1,FC3.

really like MDK, so am sticking to it.

Now to the problem..

actually i have got my dial-up connection to work on linux just a couple of days ago,previously was switching to windows..

now started using GAIM.. was trying to upgrade it,downloaded the package "gaim-1.3.1-0.mdk10.0.i586.rpm",

currently have "gaim-0.82.1-2mdk"

tried upgrading using "rpm -U gaim-1.3.1-0.mdk10.0.i586.rpm"

got the following error..

[root@localhost software]# rpm -U gaim-1.3.1-0.mdk10.0.i586.rpm
warning: gaim-1.3.1-0.mdk10.0.i586.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 4c292fcc
       file /usr/lib/libgaim-remote.so.0.0.0 from install of gaim-1.3.1-0.mdk10.0 conflicts with file from package libgaim-remote0-0.82.1-2mdk
[root@localhost software]#

also when i was trying to upgrade using rpmDrake, i got error indicating signature files are not available..

kindly help..

thanks,

rohit.

It sounds like you've downloaded a 10.0 version of GAIM.

Are your urpmi mirrors set up? Go into Software Media Manager, and check if you have just the Installation CD/DVD or whether you also have:

main, contrib, updates/update_source, plf-free, plf-nonfree, jpackage.

If not, then add them using http://www.mandrivausers.org/easyurpmi

But make sure you have the correct source. You should be choosing 10.1 Official I would have thought, unless you have the Community one installed. Normally, it would be Official though.

If you do have the sources installed, within Software Media Manager, select one and click Edit, and make sure it is relating to 10.1 and not 10.0 :P

Once you do have the correct sources, you can then go to System/Configuration/Packaging/Install Software scroll through the list, find GAIM and install it. Much easier than trawling the web for all the downloads.

greetings there ian,

i guess you got it right..

i have MDK 10.1 Official distribution and i got gaim for 10.0.

i am currently configuring the media as you told to do...

i just wanted to know what these plf-free and plf-nonfree refer do.. ?

also what does prefix to be added to each package mean?

thanks a lot for your help..

regards,

rohit.

Some apps in contrib require dependencies, which reside in plf. PLF used to be one group, but they got split - plf-free being all the free stuff, and plf-nonfree being something that kind of isn't free (or something like that). Someone else might be able to explain this a bit better, it was kind of explained to me like this, but I might have forgotten :P

For example, the Mandrake/Mandriva download doesn't have the ATI drivers, etc, you have to get these from ATI. But, if you download a purchased version, it does have them.

Prefix is just if you wanted to have some text before them. This is in case you have main, contrib, etc for 10.1, and wanted to add LE2005 repositories, then you would have to prefix, as you wouldn't be able to have two repositories called main, etc.

Hello again,

well i got my MDK from a local LUG, burnt it on cd's...

so should i click for the non-free plf's? or simply stick to plf's, will the free-plf suffice?

also i guess i'll be leaving prefix as i'll be getting used to this distro for some time before i moved to any-other..

what do you suggest?

regards,

rohit.

You can add everything, you won't have to worry, it's just the naming convention kind of sounds confusing.

I'm sure everyone has all those sources configured in their systems! Or if not, will do when they need them! :P

What you can also do if you prefer, is use a compressed index, then the repositories will add quicker, you just won't be able to browse much information as to what the program is about and where it's installed, change log, etc, etc.

Hello again.

Yaa the names are confusing...

i guess i'll leave it for the time being... get to know more of it,and then add it...

also if i choose compressed index, would troubleshooting,if needed later on for a specefic package, take more time? or mandriva/mandrake sites and google be enough?

thanks,

rohit.

I personally, haven't compressed the index, so I have all the information. Means I don't have to hunt the internet for the info. It's up to you.

If you have a slow internet connection, then compressing is better. Having the information only really tells you a bit more about the program, where the files are installed, and change log so you can see what's been updated. If you're not worried about all this, then you can compress it. If you want the info, download. Main and contrib are about 25MB each, the rest are 7MB for jpackage, 4MB for updates, 1-2mb for plf's.

greetings there,

i got the solution to the problem after using urpmi.

its a highly addictive tool...!

well i did opt for the free plf files :-)

one query though...

How do one choose auto-away option in GAIM? i have been looking for long but have't been successful..

i had seens and tried the -w option but it does not seem to work.

any GUI based work-around?

thanks,

rohit.

hi ian.

My auto-away option is configured in Tools, Preferences, Away/Idle.  There is an auto-away section there.

i too have seen those prefeences...

i guess i did not explicitly put in detail what i want.

here it goes...

when i login, i wish if i could have a silent login kind of a thing... you know i login but no one knows i am really logged in.

that way 99.99% of the times i remain away without the logged in buddy knowing how many times i realyy logged in and out!

hope that explains things a bit better..

regards,

rohit.