Missing glyphs in terminal (kterm)

alexpank

Hi folks,

I've been having a bit of trouble with Japanese language display in a terminal since upgrading from 9.0 to 10.1 - certain characters show up as a blank space, which is kinda hard to read...

I've checked out the font in KCharSelect, and it seems that the characters in question are in the font, but for whatever reason they won't turn up on screen. I'm using kterm 6.2 (for Japanese support in EUC encoding - all the other terminals only seem to support Unicode) and it worked fine under Mdk 9.0, but for some reason it's no good under 10.0.

One thing I thought it could be is the fact that the characters that don't show up are all fairly obscure, but then I figured that if they show up in KCharSelect (and gucharmap, for that matter), then they should show up on screen.

Does anyone know why these glyphs go mysteriously missing?

TIA

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Edited by alexpank

Do you get any error messages and does it show the text as boxes as well?

Something I found, which I'm not sure if you may have tried already:

For example the Japanese terminal program kterm can't find it's default fonts and will produce error messages about missing fonts and show boxes instead of Japanese characters.

Please add these font paths to the section ``Files'' of your XF86Config file like in the following example:

Section "Files"

[...]

FontPath          "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID"

FontPath          "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/baekmuk"

FontPath          "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/japanese"

[...]

ModulePath    "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"

RgbPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"

EndSection

Then restart your X11 session.

Hope that helps.....

Thanks, Ian, I'll give it a go and post back!

Edit: FWIW, I'm not getting any error messages or little boxes, just blank spaces where the characters should be. I'll post a screen cap tonight after I get home, if I remember.

Edited by alexpank

Just dropping in quickly to see what's happening. I've got a bit busy with an exam (tomorrow!), so I haven't had a chance to try Ian's solution yet, but i'll give it a go tomorrow after I've finished my exams and let ya know what happens.

BTW, what's with the posting ping-pong? If this ends up in Security Advisories I'll be a little concerned (^_-)

Hi Alex,

We, as moderators move posts to where we believe to be in their correct location. Although this post is related to terminals in the sense that this is where you experience an issue, the issue's related more to the fonts, which was deemed as Software, rather than terminal related. Nothing to worry about :P

Let me know how you get on with my suggestion, am wondering whether it helped any!

Hi Ian,

I thought that might have been the case - I wasn't too worried about it being moved, although I would still be concerned if it ended up in MSA! I just thought it was funny that it went from one forum to another and back again :)

Sorry it's taken me a while to get back to this. I tried your solution with some slight modifications. Firstly, I installed the intlfonts package (I'm not sure where I got it from, I just had it as a tar.gz in my home directory from way back) and then added the directory where those fonts went to FontPath, as per your solution. They included fonts for the JIS X 0212 character set, meaning that the missing characters were now not missing. FYI, JIS X 0212 contains all the characters that weren't considered important enough to go into the main set (JIS X 0208) but were too good to throw out. I'm working on some stuff that uses these characters, so not being able to see them is rather a pain.

Actually, your solution helped me with another issue, which was the fact that I had to go and add those fonts to the font path every time I wanted to use them in Emacs, which was a right pain. A readme in intlfonts said to add an 'xset +fp' line to ~/.xinitrc or ~/.xsessions, but that didn't work (since I didn't have them...) However, adding them to XF86Config worked a treat!

In short, cute psycho monkey 1, recalcitrant computer 0. ;) :thanks:

BTW, there are also intlfonts packges for other languages as well (including Chinese, Korean, a number of Asian languages like Hindi, Devanagari, Tibetan, Lao, etc., and some African languages), so this should work for them too. I'll hunt down a link for the packages, cos it seems they're not on urpmi.

FWIW, I've included a couple of screenshots for before and after comparison. Can you tell the difference?

Many thanks!

Alex

post-2475-1119406469_thumb.jpg <-- note blank spaces in Japanese text!

post-2475-1119406487_thumb.jpg <-- and voila :)