cdrom and LE2005 [solved]

Guest cgl72

Guest cgl72

My situation is the following:

Ran 10.0 for 1 year without a problem, all devices working

I upgraded to LE2005 last night from the dvd download ISO. I chose the option during the install to have the contents of the dvd copied to hdd before the install. So I have no proof the cdrom drive was actually working during the installation itself. This may not be relevant details but who knows. Since the installation, the cdrom drive does not work in spite of beeing listed in the /mnt folder.

Here is a copy of my etc/fstab

/dev/sda7 / ext3 defaults 1 1
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
/dev/sda9 /home ext3 defaults 1 2
none /mnt/removable supermount dev=/dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/part1,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,
kudzu,codepage=850 0 0
/dev/sda1 /mnt/win_c ntfs umask=0,nls=iso8859-1,ro 0 0
/dev/sda6 /mnt/win_e ntfs umask=0,nls=iso8859-1,ro 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/sda8 swap swap defaults 0 0

this clearly shows no cdrom drive. But looking at my dmesg at boot (and the interpretation of which I dearly need help with) it looks like my drive is recognized... Here is a partial of dmesg:

VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
SCSI subsystem initialized
libata version 1.10 loaded.
ata_piix version 1.03
ata_piix: combined mode detected
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1f.2 to 64
ata1: SATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0x1F0 ctl 0x3F6 bmdma 0xF000 irq 14
ata1: dev 1 cfg 49:2f00 82:346b 83:7f01 84:4003 85:3c68 86:3c01 87:4003 88:20ff
ata1: dev 1 ATA, max UDMA7, 234493056 sectors: lba48
ata1: dev 1 configured for UDMA/133
scsi0 : ata_piix
Vendor: ATA Model: SAMSUNG SP1213C Rev: SV10
Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 05
ata2: PATA max UDMA/100 cmd 0x170 ctl 0x376 bmdma 0xF008 irq 15
ata2: dev 0 cfg 49:0f00 82:0000 83:0000 84:0000 85:0000 86:0000 87:0000 88:0407
ata2: dev 0 ATAPI, max UDMA/33
ata2: dev 0 configured for UDMA/33
scsi1 : ata_piix
Vendor: PLEXTOR Model: DVDR PX-712A Rev: 1.03
Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 05
ieee1394: Initialized config rom entry `ip1394'

I have the rest of the file available if that can help, but did not want to drown my post with useless info for starts. Thank you for your help. I hope I will be able to answer this type of question in the future to do my part as well.

C.

Christian

hello and welcome aboard :)

what happens if you manually add the cd-rom to your fstab file? try that. maybe it solves your problem right away.

here is an example entry for a cd-rom that might need modifications on your box:

/dev/hdc /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 ro,user,noauto 0 0

Guest cgl72
hello and welcome aboard :)

Hello and thanks for the welcome. I have just solved my problem and will describe how so that others may benefit.

First getting the system to recognise the drive:

A. Fresh install of Mandrake LE2005 did it. Works so much better than the upgrade. My cdrom drive finally showed up in my /etc/fstab file. I thought this was victory until I tried to access the drive! Not possible to read or write from the drive. Thanks to 3 hours of google and reading posts on sites such as this one I finally figured out that my security setting for Mandrake LE2005 was to blame. Why? Because with the security set to high (which is the default during the installation. and maybe during the upgrade, although I did not verify thisl) only the root gets to read and write to the cdrom drive! well so the next step was to find how to get the level down without having to go back through the installation process.

B. In MMC looked all over for the way to change my security setting from High to Standard :wall: . Well it took me another 20 minutes to find that in mmc under security, you have to go up to the options pull down menu and click on expert mode, to finally see appear something else than just the firewall setting icon.

Thanks again Arctic for your help and warning to all those that install Mandriva LE2005, check your security levels...

Now I just have to get my fonts in order, and a couple other details and then :zzz:

cheers

Cgl

It's not necessary to lower your Security setting to be able to write to the cdrom. Just add your user(s) to the cdrom and cdwriter groups.

Procedure:

Menu -> System -> Configuration -> Other -> User Administration

You will be prompted for the root password.

Right-click on a user, select edit. In the Groups tab, make sure cdrom and cdwriter are checked. You will probably also want to make sure audio is checked.

My LE2005 install did this for me automatically and I had the Security as High.

Edited by jboy