How to install it?

Guest Kero_1116

Do some reading by clicking the search link. Look for windows install. Several things to keep in mind while reading is:

1. Probably losing bootmagic (now partition magic) as you won't need it anymore.

2. Partitioning your hard drive, read the posts..

3. Not using bootmagic to manage a hard drive with linux on it.

4. Buy a second drive for linux is safer all around..

4. Buy a second drive for linux is safer all around..
Not a good option for a laptop owner.

Kero_1116,

Before u resize any windoze partition, defragment it completely. Can u give an idea of what partition sizes u have now ?

Also, in http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/ibm.html u will find several instances of linux installations on laptops of ur model (or similar models).

U can go to my computer and then left click on it. When u see the C: drive in windows explorer, right click on it and there u will get an option for defragmentation. This simply puts all ur files in adjacent sectors on the hard drive so that instead of having files all over the drive, u have them nicely stacked on one side while the remaining space is all empty. U can then easily create a partition in the empty space.

Kero_1116,

Once u r done with complete defragmentation, use boot magic to reduce the size of C: partition. Do not create any partitions in the freed space. Then install mandrake in the freed space.

Kero_1116,

I can't get a grip of what u r trying to get done here. Have u already installed linux ? Also, is bootmagic some kind of a boot-loader ? If yes, u could always try booting into linux with it but I have never tried it.

Guest Kero_1116

well....has anybody tried using bootmagic to boot to linux?

bootmagic is like lilo

i hv not got mandrake to install yet

like mayb i want lilo to go to my other boot-loader, bootmagic