196 Mb RAM

2 X Realteak 10/100 PCI NICs

Matrox Mystique PCI

2 x HDD 10Gb total

External Iomega CD-RW (now Internal:)

Dell 17"

Mandrake 10.1 Power Pack

As gateway/router to win-2000 LAN

I'm quite crap at using using Mandrake 10.1 and I've been having a bit o' trouble to say the least, however I'm getting there and I'd like to say that the forum has been a great help over the months and this is my first post on my fist forum.

Anyway, my screen has bad redraw problems with a Matrox Mystique PCI. Scrolling corrupts the screen totally, I changed the monitor and still the same, experimented with the screen /etc/xorg/confs - and no change!

Looking around, found a site: (https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=124028) relating to a fedora? issue, explaining that the fault lies in the Xorg package when used with the Matrox card and to use: xorg-x11-6.7.0-5 or greater, there was also a link to a diff file, which I,ve now got.

I also found on RPM find: xorg-x11-6.7.0-5

Whats the best ways to go here, as my experience is limited! Can I apply this fedora patch without any changes to the diff file for my Mandrake install and what would I apply it to! Can I upgrade to 10.2s rpms, or Thac's?

Any help appreciated here!

Edited by knoba

You can set up your urpmi repositories for 10.1 and you could make sure all the updates are applied for Xorg, or all the other system updates too.

To do this, visit: http://www.mandrivausers.org/easyurpmi

Make sure you select the correct version! Then set up for main, contrib, jpackage, updates, plf-free, plf-nonfree. Once you've added these, you can then go into System/Configuration/Packaging/Mandrakelinux Update

I normally choose all of them by ensuring Normal, Bug Fixes and Security are checked, and then click the All link to select everything. It may take a while (3 hours over 128kbps), but it's worth it in the end. This should have the updated Xorg for you that you're looking for.

You can always upgrade to LE2005/10.2 later if you wish, or if you want to do it now you can. You can upgrade by CD/DVD or using the urpmi sources if you wish, although this is a little more difficult and more involved to ensure all is OK.

Thanks for the ways ianw1974. I had already updated the packages for Mandrake 10.1 incl. the plf's, (i should have said that!=) but I did not realise I could update to the 10.2 stuff, I've just done that with the Xorg bits only and after a first lock out after loading to the desktop and a forced hard boot, it came back up again ok, there seemed to be slight improvements but unfortunately the main bugs still existed. I then went for the full urpmi upgrades and it's still the same, except some progs dont load anymore!

You've got to laugh, I must have cleanly installed this dist maybe 30 times due to other probs and/or unrealistic expectations! :)

I could just buy another graphics card, and may have to. I just wondered what other possible soloutions were availible as I do enjoy learning about Linux and Mandrake.

I'm happy to go either way, but still remain curious here... Should I mark this thing "solved" as i dont want to needlessly pester anyone with a redundant (Matrox Mystique!) issue, or do you have any other possibilities that I could try and research myself?

Thanks for your help, much appreciated!

Well, it's been a while since I used any Matrox cards. But isn't the original Mystique (or is it Millenium) is certified as Linux incompatible?

Anyway, if you want, you can try clean installing Mandrake 2005 LE. I found that x.org in 10.1 (which is version 6.7) is a bit unstable for me.

You might be worthwhile getting a newer card anyway. I had an old Matrox Millenium card that I think only had 2MB of RAM, or at least it was very very low anyway! You may have the same with your card, so one with a bit more RAM would help on your system anyway.

The only problem is, if your system is old too, and only has PCI slots, that it may be the old format. Most cards now are PCI 2.1 and higher, whereas older machines were only PCI 1.4 or something. So check on your machine first, unless it's relatively up-to-date, then you'll be fine.

If the card isn't supported, then you'll have troubles.