xorg.conf gets modified at boot...

AlxMAX

Hi,

I would like to ask you a question about the system configuring programs. I have modified my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file in order to have both the touchpad and the optical mouse work at the same time or only the touchpad. The configuration did not need further modifications in case the optical mouse was removed. The file was written with the optical mouse plugged to the computer. Then I have rebooted the computer and plugged off the optical mouse (just to test the configuration). For some reason that I don't know, the xorg.conf file got modified after the reboot: the section concerning the optical mouse has disappeared and the touchpad section was changed to other settings.

This is not a singular case because /etc/modprobe.preload was modified without my intervention.

Could someone tell me what program is modifying those files and how can I stop him doing that?

[moved from Software by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

The security setting for my system is Standard. Does the system continue to behave like you described in that post even on this security level?

Anyway, isn't it a harddrake related problem? Because when I replug the optical mouse, the Mouse section reappears.

Edited by AlxMAX

Have you added the section to xorg.conf, when the optical mouse hasn't been connected, and seen whether it remains after a reboot (still with optical disconnected)?

And then, connected the optical mouse and booted, and seen if it's still there, and disconnect and reboot again, to see if the section is there that you added when the mouse wasn't connected?