Several Issues with Mandriva 2005LE

raysr

My main problem is sound. I have an external usb creative labs card 24 bit. I can't get it to work. The kmix icon on the toolbar has a red X on it.

Also I downloaded RealPlayer rpm and installed it but it won't launch. I get this error in terminal:/usr/local/RealPlayer/realplay.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

. I could sure use some help. Xandros and Mepis picked up the external card right off.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

I also have a similar problem:

I installed LE2005 on a ACER 4052 laptop (Intel centrino 725 chip set 1.6mhz on a intel motherboard with support for intel ac97 sound system). I tried playing cds - the KsCD plays it but I cannot hear it. I tried 'alsaconf' and configured as appropriate (with what

ever was prompted and given as default).

The 'chkconfig --list sound' gives me the output of something like:

1        2       3      4       5       6
off     off      on    on     on    off

If the above are the PCM channels - how do I turn all of them on?

The alsa drivers load perfectly at bootup. KMix is perfectly fine showing all options to be in green (no red color codes).

This laptop was earlier loaded with (old versions of) suselinux and red hat linux. And in both the sound system on teh laptop worked perfectly fine!

Can anyone help?

Thanks a lot in advance

cases

The chkconfig --list sound shows you how the service runs based on the different runlevels. Runlevel 3 is booting to a CLI prompt and logging in this way, Runlevel 5 is when you're in the GUI. Runlevel 6 is when you shut the machine down.

One of the others, can't remember which one, perhaps 1 or 2 is single user mode.

The chkconfig --list sound shows you how the service runs based on the different runlevels.  Runlevel 3 is booting to a CLI prompt and logging in this way, Runlevel 5 is when you're in the GUI.  Runlevel 6 is when you shut the machine down.

One of the others, can't remember which one, perhaps 1 or 2 is single user mode.

Thanks for the reply!

So, now I understand that the ' chkconfig' is not really the something that help!

I found that the libstdc++ was not installed so I did:

Mandrakelinux Control Center

Software Management

Install Software Packages

libstdc++5-3.3.4-4mdk

This went thru smoothly.

Is there anything else that I can do to configure the system?

(By the way, at boot time, the messages on the screen shows that the 'alsa' driver

has been installed successfully with the string : ' intel8x0' repeating twice.... (is that a possible problem?)

Again thanks in advance

No, that's fine. I had that with mine. I even removed the alsa configuration and redid it and it put it in twice. On 10.0 and 10.1 never had this happen, so at first I thought it was an issue, but my sound worked perfectly fine.

If you've been into KMix and set the volume levels, and made sure all the greens are lit up, rather than dark green, you should be OK. Check in Configure Your Desktop and Sound and click the test button and see if you can hear anything.

Check volume controls on the laptop too, I have a dial for mine, so I have had to check this before, as I had it turned down!!! And I thought it was a config problem, it was just turning up the dial.

Thanks a lot!

I would like to add that I did the following:

- went into mandrake control centre and

-- installed all sound (kde) related libraries /software packages (including aumix).

- checked out kmix and saw that all buttons was lit with light green color. (no red buttons)

-- on the output tab, saw to it that all yellow buttons were of the light ones (except video).

-- ensured that all the sliders are at their maximum

And then when I ran kscd, the music turned on.

So is there a structured way to reproduce what went wrong? Dont really know!

Perhaps the mandriva team should fix this...

thanks once more