le2005 club edition with kde-3.4.0

thac

Guest olemadsen

Hi,

I see that others have brought this up, but I want to add my voice to the choir. I spent several days downloading the 6 cd club version of 2005 LE, and I now have it installed and running. I like the parts that work, but there are several annoying bugs that make using the install rather problematic. But what is really disappointing is that apparently this is a dead-end irelease, no bug fixes? No security updates? It really makes me wonder why I bothered with the download, and why I spent good money on a club membership.

Perhaps the powers that be could re-think this one?

Cheers

Ole Madsen

Hi Olemadson.

What do you mean, no bug fixes or security updates ???. You mention many bugs but you don´t say what they are.

We can´t be talking about the same Mandriva2005-OE because mine has been keeping up to date with bug fixes and security updates and I do not experience any bugs at the moment.

When I install Mandriva2005-LE and do an update I find that there is over 300mbs of updates and upgrades and bug fixes and security updates and you try to tell me the opposite ???.

Are you sure you are not trolling ???. Giving you the benefit of the doubt, maybe it is because you do not know how to properly get the updates.

Thac, I saw the pounding you got at the Mandriva Club. I do not know whether it was right or wrong. But I feel you are doing a wrong by your statement here. Your interpretation of what Mandriva says does not seem to match my interpretation.

But then what would I know.

John.

Hi AussieJohn,

This was relating to the Club release. Mandriva LE2005 gets the updates, but apparently, according to the Mandriva website, no updates are being released for Club releases through urpmi. They can only be downloaded at present as the 6 CD media when they are released every few month.

Or at least, this is what I've gathered from the post that Thac added to this thread.

Guest olemadsen
Hi Olemadson.

What do you mean, no bug fixes or security updates ???.  You mention many bugs but you don´t say what they are.

We can´t be talking about the same Mandriva2005-OE because mine has been keeping up to date with bug fixes and security updates and I do not experience any bugs at the moment.

When I install Mandriva2005-LE and do an update I find that there is over 300mbs of updates and upgrades and bug fixes and security updates and you try to tell me the opposite ???.

Are you sure you are not trolling ???.  Giving you the benefit of the doubt, maybe it is because you do not know how to properly get the updates.

Thac, I saw the pounding you got at the Mandriva Club. I do not know whether it was right or wrong. But I feel you are doing a wrong by your statement here.  Your interpretation of what Mandriva says does not seem to match my interpretation.

But then what would I know.

John.

Hi AussieJohn,

I am talking about the 2005 LE Club Release. "Club Release" being the operative words here. I was running the 2005 LE, the 3cd release that became available awhile back. I did not have any serious issues with it, and it appeared to be well supported with upgrades and bugfixes available as you rightly state.

Then, in early June the 6cd release, 2005 LE Club Release was made available to club members. I proceeded to download and did an upgrade. That is where the problem started. It appears that the club release is not supported. It would have been nice to know that ahead of time, don't you think?

I base this on three things, thac's post in this forum, and the Mandriva Club newsletter posting he refers to. (By newsletter editor Adam Williamson, you'd think he would know.) Besides, when you go thru the usual upgrade procedure, there are no upgrades.

What bugs? The most annoying one is that the system will not let you shut it down. You can not get rid of the screen that says halt?, and when you selct that, really halt? Nothing happens. Hitting the power switch is the only way out. I have tried the various settings in the 'session control' section, but to no avail.

As a last resort I have tried going to terminal mode and issued the command: # shutdown -h now

This starts the shutdown process, but everything stalls shortly after, it chokes on one of the ALSA things. Again hitting the power switch is the only way out. Not good. There are other issues, but his is already too long. (Fortunately I have 10.1 running on another harddrive, and it is rock solid).

Cheers

Ole

Hi olemadson.

I would agree with you. It would seem that Mandriva club is NOT looking after the very people who constitute its membership.

Thanks for the the detailed explanation, it puts a very different complexion on the subject. I can see you definately do not have even a taint of trolling. Please accept my apology for even thinking it.

Go kick their backsides.

Cheers. John.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest raindog

I'm in the same boat.... and let me just say, the Club version of LE2005 (the 3.4 one) looks BEAUTIFUL. But I tried to get the Python KDE bindings working and if I want to do that (or install almost anything else KDE-related from contrib, or get security updates) my only option is to upgrade the whole thing to Cooker. Ewwwwwwwww.

It strikes me that Mandriver is least friendly to the people who tend to give them the most money.... the buyers of retail packs (go ahead, get a new kernel from security updates and watch your nvidia kernel or winmodem driver die), and club members.