what are those core.## files appearing everywhere?

ERD

hello all, after (finally) successfully and completely installing & configuring LE2005 (10.2) on my laptop, ibe finally started using it to do some work, and ibe noticed some files "misteriously" appearing in my home folder, these are:

core.13465, core.28101, and several other core.### files. they all have an icon of a little green bomb, and they are quite large in size! one of them is 74MB!! i know i dint put them there, so where did they come from? can i delete them? and, how do i stop them from appearing? is this the work of the devil? should i spill some holly water on my box??? :)

thanks!

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

thanks for your reply, ibe followed the proceedure explained there, and (hopefully) i wont get those annoyng files anymore, however, theres something i dont understand. If i understood correctly, those files are core dumps made when an app crashes, but ibe never since i installed linux had an app crash in any way (God bless linux), so why do they appear if nothin crashed in the first place?