2006 cooker note 01Jun05

kristi

EDIT 1

I did a fresh install of 2005, and update to cooker 2006:

Text printer prob is gone. Yay!

Had to reinstall klamav and anacron. big deal.

I am using MCC Security at HIGH and reading it with kmail.

klamav is working but Dazuko is not: the install put kern src -10 in usr/src, and the Dazuko modules are -10, but my kern is still 6 - I'm off to get kern mod 10

I filed bug 16267.

I will edit this if I find problems. I will run this unless I find a critical prob.

Looking good!

Kristi

are you running KDE?

gad another person up this late!

yes - KDE (which happens to be 3.4 according to the splash, the menu sidebar, and 3.4.1 on desktop configure.) still running old 2.6.11-6 and 7174 Nvidia. I also installed Evolution mail, but it doesn't offer me any way to get from tbird, so now I'm looking for a way to get tbird to input from /var/spool/mail/username (MCC Security alerts)(using kmail for that now). by the time the snapshot comes out 2006 cooker should be pretty good - it's good now (but don't go reading the cooker list!!!!!)

nite!

:zzz:

I also installed Evolution mail, but it doesn't offer me any way to get from tbird, so now I'm looking for a way to get tbird to input from /var/spool/mail/username  (MCC Security alerts)(using kmail for that now). 

You should try sylpheed (stable) or sylpheed-claws (devel...gtk) or sylpheed-claws2 (devel...gtk2)...it was my favorite client before tbird. It can handle the /var/spool/mail/<<username>> stuff, IIRC, but I think you need sylpheed-mailmbox-plugin.

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

You should try sylpheed (stable) or sylpheed-claws (devel...gtk) or sylpheed-claws2 (devel...gtk2)...it was my favorite client before tbird. It can handle the /var/spool/mail/<<username>> stuff, IIRC, but I think you need sylpheed-mailmbox-plugin.

Can it convert ftom tbird?

right now I've got 2 mail proggys - tbird which has everything pop3, and kmail which just has the local mail Kinda like to only have one mail proggy. but it's really not a biggy - this is little stuff. I'm just happy that cooker works :jester:

Thunderbird and Evolution both use the mbox format to store mail so they should actually be able to use each other's files directly. At least, theoretically. Of course, this is why I run my own IMAP server - can access that with any old email client, from anywhere. You really should try it. :)

How are you making out with RPM 4.4, kristi? I'm getting the problems others have reported, every few operations rpm will just hang, you have to kill -9 it then rebuild the database...a bit worrying and inconvenient. Ah well, I guess pterjan will fix it soon.

This is good timing - My 2005 started refusing to boot to a gui, I checked the obvious culprts and removed the nvidia driver but still no go - I know I could have spent a day or 2 communicating with MUB via XP to get 2005 going again, but the thickness of the dust on XP is a real deterrent :D , and I *kinda* wanted to see how cooker was going, notwithstanding that I had just gotten over 200 messages on cooker and expert lists (that don't really tell you anything any more because they aren't linked to a bugzilla number, and they seem to be being used by a lot of 10.1 and 2005 users - WRONG! :evilmod:

How are you making out with RPM 4.4, kristi? I'm getting the problems others have reported, every few operations rpm will just hang, you have to kill -9 it then rebuild the database...a bit worrying and inconvenient. Ah well, I guess pterjan will fix it soon.

I had the usual error based on an evolution prereq which knocked out about 10 things I don't use plus xine (I've learned to not install xine until AFTER I finish the update.) - Oops just tested xine - flashes gui at me then disappears. try mplayer and it works perfectly, Uninstall all xine (and related) stuff. Reinstall xine and it calls for another requirement - yes - installs fine, albeit a few termination messages SIGG 11 or somesuch that I just ignore, installs fine, start mplayer, locks, eventually ends, start mplayer again - works perfectly, start xine, works perfiectly. This was tru since early stages of 2006 cooker and is not a biggie to me - I know it'll get straightened out by 1b, maybe even by beta image. Did just discover that It changed me to kern 10 source, still running 6 so I need to try to get the 10 modules. the Dazuko modules which aare 10 did not get included so klamav is up, just not dynamically checking. Last time I got this far, Nvidia would not install with 10, so

1. get 10 kern,

2, boot to 10 kern and try to link nvidia 7174 to it. (biggie)

3. see what I have to do to get Dazuko going (not a biggie)

All in all, it's in a lot of better shape that it was a week ago.

No probs with rpm.

One in the first 25 or so maybe number 5 has signature error. and I think 2 in the 380 or so had sig errors but I just reply yes to everything and it finished fine..

Now it is possible I might screw it up with 2 above, but at least then I can still multiboot to 6 to play NWN!!! :thumbs:

Thunderbird and Evolution both use the mbox format to store mail so they should actually be able to use each other's files directly. At least, theoretically. Of course, this is why I run my own IMAP server - can access that with any old email client, from anywhere. You really should try it. :)

Okay - How do I set up and run a imap server? :drum:

Kristi

I went ahead and installed the kern for 10, reran lilo, it politely booted (10) to a cli prompt, I re-installed nvidia 7147. I got 2 messages that I am wondering if I should do anything about

NVIDIA: left KBUILD.
-> done.
-> Kernel module compilation complete.
-> Installing both new and classic TLS OpenGL libraries.
-> Parsing log file:
-> done.
-> Validating previous installation:
-> done.
-> Uninstalling NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver for Linux-x86 (1.0-7174):
WARNING: Unable to restore symbolic link /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1 ->
        libGL.so.1.2 (File exists).
WARNING: Unable to restore symbolic link /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so ->
        libGL.so.1.2 (File exists).
-> done.
-> Uninstallation of existing driver: NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver for
  Linux-x86 (1.0-7174) is complete.
-> Installing 'NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver for Linux-x86' (1.0-7174):
  executing: './usr/src/nv/makedevices.sh'...
  executing: '/sbin/ldconfig'...
  executing: '/sbin/depmod -aq'...
-> done.
-> Driver file installation is complete.
-> Running post-install sanity check:
-> done.
-> Post-install sanity check passed.
-> Shared memory test passed.
-> Running runtime sanity check:
-> done.
-> Runtime sanity check passed.
-> Installation of the NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver for Linux-x86
  (version: 1.0-7174) is now complete.  Please update your XF86Config or
  xorg.conf file as appropriate; see the file
  /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/README for details.

this is the tail end of that log - the 2 warning messages are what I'm talking about. Do I need to do anything?

The driver is definitely installed and working as I can start NWN and I would not be able to if it were not installed.

tia!

Kristi

When I get that error I usually run the installer again, and it goes away. I've been doing this for so long I forget _why_ I do it, but I _seem_ to remember that once I didn't do the second pass, and I had odd GL problems in some situations. Oh well. YMMV.

I'm intending to write an MDV-specific howto one of these days, but I followed this guide:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Email_System_...he_Home_Network

and just adjusted for MDV as appropriate (package names, file locations etc).