No sound [solved]

Guest Teiresias

Guest Teiresias

I've a problem. When I try to play sound it's very low even though the alsamixer is all boosted up. Cannot say if I've installed some thing that f**ked the sound up, it used to work.

My configuration is:  
Mandrake 10.1 official 
kernel version :  2.6.8.1-12mdk 
Alsa-utils : 1.0.8 
libalsa2:  1.0.8

Anything else ??

Hope that somebody have some idea how to solve my problem

Thanks

Nicolaj

Edited by Teiresias

Open up all alsamixer channels (PCM :) ). If that doesn't work close every channel and open up one at the time. Could be that the default master channel is not the one you're listening to. Or if that doesn't help sometimes an application keeps control of sound. Open every audio application (try real player first) you use and hike up the volume.

Guest Teiresias

I've tried to close and open all channels no change. And it's the same no matter which player I used (mpg321, xmms, mplayer etc).

Try reloading the driver. Open the MCC, hardware, hardware. Select the souncard, configure, load different module, load default module again (go to system, services to check if alsa is running) and try again. (do this with all audio applications closed, including kmix in the systray)

Guest Teiresias

Tried to load different modules, and reload the intel8x0 modules, same result. Currently trying to install the new alsa driver version 1.0.9. Hoping that this will take care of my problem.

Guest Teiresias

Sort of. The laptop (IBM R31) have tree buttons for volume control. They do not work, except the mute button, and if the sound is muted it will not show in the alsamixer. ;-) So now there are lots of sound.

Typical, never start with the obvious solutions ;-)

Do you have somthing install to catch the events when pressing the buttons ? Or is the bios just better on the T model ??

No, I didn't do anything... Only keys that don't work are Fn+F5 (WiFi On/Off), Fn+F7 and Fn+F12 (?) - Hybernate. I do load thinkpad modules which I found under 3rd party in the kernel dir. I guess they have something to do with power management, but frankly I don't see any difference...

Edit: you may want to look at the tpb (ThinkPad buttons) project and search linux-thinkpad mailing list.

Edited by coverup