how do I mount the cdrom?

sunshine13

I have been trying to mount my cdrom I created a device on the desktop and clicked on the pull down tab device and selected dev/hdc (/mntcdrom/). When it trys to open there is a brief window with a download bar then i get the error message

Could not mount device.

The reported error was:

mount: No medium found

And I tried selecting dev/hdd (mntcdrom) and it came back

Could not mount device.

The reported error was:

/dev/hdd: Input/output error

mount: /dev/hdd: can't read superblock

I have tried it with several different cdroms in the drive.

As you can see I am new to linux and am trying to find my way around so any info would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Post your /etc/fstab file; that will show where your cdrom drive(s) are and where they can be mounted. Post what version of mandrake/mandriva your using. Different versions have different auto mounting features for cd drives. Finally, this error message:

/dev/hdd: Input/output error

mount: /dev/hdd: can't read superblock

is what you invariably get if you try to mount an audio/music cd. Audio cds are not mountable as they contain no filesystem, thus the error message. If you just want to play or rip an audio cd, post back and I'll go into detail.

Sorry i did not know it will not see audio files I put a data cd in and it read it fine. I am trying to copy audio cds to mp3 format but am having trouble getting a program to do it with my mp3 player will not except ogg format which I have managed to do using rythmbox but it only gives me three options to extract it in cd quality loss, cd quality loss less and voice but does not seem to have a menu for mp3. format.

With mp3s there are "decoders" that allow you to play mp3s and "encoders" which allow you to create mp3s from audio cd or wave files. The mp3 codec is patented and in a sort of grey area legally. Most, but not all, linux distros include an mp3 decoder so you can play mp3s. Most do not include an encoder but they are widely available. Ogg is an open source alternative to mp3 created because of the legally grey area of mp3, with both encoders and decoders generally included in most linux distros.

So much for the history lesson. Your problem is you probably don't have an mp3 encoder installed as it's not on the install cds. The most common one used is a package called "lame". Where to find it? A site called Penguin Liberation Front(plf) makes and maintains packages in this grey area which mandriva can't include for legal reasons:

http://plf.zarb.org/

They have been doing this a long time and can be trusted. Most people that run mandrake/mandriva for any length of time find out about plf.

The most effective way to use plf is to set their rpm repository as a urpmi source but you can download the lame rpm directly from their mirror sites(it's in "plf-free") and install it on your box by clicking on it.

However, setting up a urpmi source is not hard and the plf website and the "Easy-Urpmi" link on the top of this page will walk you through the process. You should set up "plf-free", "plf-nonfree" and "contrib" sources.