MP3 playback problem

ianw1974

Thought I would install XMMS and use this, but when I try to playback an MP3, nothing happens. In fact, XMMS just freezes, and I can't do anything after that with XMMS unless I reboot.

I also found that with Amarok, some will play, and some won't play. They freeze Amarok too.

I'm not sure why, since they play OK in Windows. The MP3's currently are on my NTFS partition, which I just access the MP3's from in MDK. It's not because of this is it?

Edited by ianw1974

Shouldn't be related, unless you pass bogus nls settings for your NTFS partition to your /etc/fstab.

Does xmms work at all or not? I know it doesn't really work with any content at many systems, and the reason is it's old GTK+ libs which are completely outdated. Please give Beep Media Player a try- it's xmms, but with a GTK2 GUI.

XMMS doesn;t work "out of the box" because the menu shortcut invokes "soundwrapper xmms". XMMS does not need soundwrapper on a default install, so you can use the menu editor to just invoke XMMS directly.

I was having different fun with XMMS (>30s startup times for some reason, and very nasty-looking menus on 2005LE) so I switched to Beep. Pretty impressed so far - see also this thread: https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtop...4&st=0&p=188368

I'll give that a go. I've subsequently found, that it was my NTFS partition. I have moved everything off to my Linux partition, and it works a treat now!

Had to use another computer as a dumping ground though, as when trying to copy through konqueror, it would stall. So I guess it was a partition issue. The settings were detected for NTFS when I installed MDK, so unsure as to why it's a problem with largish files.

I have now resized the NTFS to about 9GB now, and the remaining 11GB on my laptop is dedicated to MDK 10.1. Although it will be shortly, I have another post to add now to find out how I can allocate the extra space to one of my existing partitions! :P

Edited by ianw1974