java applet problem

heather1113

I am having a problem that is making me crazy :wall:

I am using: Mandriva (10.2), Firefox 1.0.4, and jre1.5.0_03

The problem is I can't get java pages to open properly in my browser. I uninstalled jre1.4.? and made sure any symlinks were gone and installed jre1.5.0_03 from Java.Sun's website and everything installed fine. I created the symlinks from /usr/java/jre1.5.0_03/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so to both my Firefox plugins directory and my Netscape directory and double checked that the symlinks showed up........they did. I then double checked in Firefox preferences to make sure anything java related was enabled. Then because it still wasn't working I opened the about:plugins page in firefox to check that everything was installed and enabled and it is.

Also I should say when I first installed Mandriva, yesterday, it was working great but then I had to go and upgrade Firefox from 1.0.2 to 1.0.4.

I searched the site before asking but they all say the same thing about creating a symlink and that everything will work fine. I must have missed or forgotten something so any help is VERY much appreciated.

Please try the 1.5.0_update3 RPM package from mandrakeclub.nl, and if you still have problems, go back to 1.4.2_08.

Java 1.5.0 is still flaky, although the last update 3 is supposed to have most problems fixed (has it?- certainly not for some java apps).

Something different. It won't load my library's website, which worked before I upgraded Firefox and works in Windows.

Here is the link

http://www.ipac.library.co.brown.wi.us:738...sp?profile=dial

Or you can use this one and click on the library card in the upper left hand corner

http://www.co.brown.wi.us/Library/

I just went back and double checked this morning and there are symlinks from /usr/java/jre1.5.0_03/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so to Mozilla plugins, Firefox plugins and Netscape plugins. I just can't imagine what else to try.

Thank you

Guest stmiller

My school library uses Horizon too, and uses portal v3.05 and works like a charm. Though I believe the version we have doesn't use java. But your page works fine with me, firefox 1.0.4, java 1.5.

Edited by stmiller

Guest FuguFondue
I just went back and double checked this morning and there are symlinks from /usr/java/jre1.5.0_03/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so to Mozilla plugins, Firefox plugins and Netscape plugins. I just can't imagine what else to try.

I'm new to this myself so take what I have to say with a grain of salt. But, I had a similar problem. When I created the symlink, I used the path as it appeared in the file tree. However, I noticed that in the address bar of Konqueror the path actually had additional steps. After highlighting the path from the address bar and then middle-clicking (pasting) it to Konsole to make the symlink, Java worked fine with Firefox.