Changing Default GUI

ianw1974

I was just wondering how I can change the default GUI. At present if I issue "startx" from the CLI it automatically loads KDE without prompting me.

I was wondering how to change, so that it would launch Blackbox for example. I know if I enter "init 5", I get the MDKKDM that allows me to choose which one.

Just tried that, but doesn't seem to work. Keeps reverting to KDE each time I go back into the option.

Is there a file I can edit or something?

You could do startx blackbox for instance. I don't know about the file but man startx might give a clue.

Indeed, you can tell startx what to start, except that you have to give the full path, eg: startx /usr/X11R6/bin/icewm-light

Another solution is to edit the file /etc/sysconfig/desktop (create it if it does not exist), and put (or modify) this line inside:

DESKTOP=Gnome

for example. This will change the system-wide default. For the list of available values for a default, run:

chksession --help

(I don't have linux at hand right now)

Now if YOU want to change Your default, without changing the system-wide default, you should edit the ~/.desktop file instead (~ stands for your home directory).

Yves.

Indeed, you can tell startx what to start, except that you have to give the full path, eg: startx /usr/X11R6/bin/icewm-light

Thanks for the other info but, on this point, I just did startx gnome and startx blackbox from a runlevel 3 user login and, in each case, that desktop started.

I use the mdkkdm to log into the system mostly, but sometimes startx also. When I use mdkkdm it's prompted, but I wanted to know where to change the default, so that I don't have to specify or run KDE if I want to use an alternative.

I've looked at startx, xinitrc, Xsession but nothing seems to show up obvious.

Thanks for the other info but, on this point, I just did startx gnome and startx blackbox from a runlevel 3 user login and, in each case, that desktop started.

afaik, it is differently handled on different distros. some need the whole path, some only need the "basic command".

I use the mdkkdm to log into the system mostly, but sometimes startx also.  When I use mdkkdm it's prompted, but I wanted to know where to change the default, so that I don't have to specify or run KDE if I want to use an alternative.

I've looked at startx, xinitrc, Xsession but nothing seems to show up obvious.

Did you try what Yin Yeti said and edit/make ~/.desktop or /etc/sysconfig/desktop with your preferred DESKTOP= inside?

I'm gonna try it now and see if that works. I need to create the desktop file as it doesn't exist as of yet.

I must have missed the post when I was replying yesterday, so I'll check it out now and let you know how I get on.

OK, I created a /etc/sysconfig/.desktop file and when I issue startx from the CLI, it works no problem there.

The Default entry on the mdkkdm screen still points to KDE, am assuming that something else would need to be changed for this to be altered too? I'm not too worried about this, but would be nice to know how to do it! :P

If I may think aloud: I presume you prefer Gnome as default rather than the KDE you are getting, (btw, so do I) and then you are sure you have Gnome installed, aren't you?

If you dont have auto-login enabled (see in MCC), the login-screen gives you the choice of desktops, does it not?

regards, Helmut.

Edited by Helmut

You do not mention whether you have gone into MCC ----> System ----> Choose Display Manager......> GDM.

I think if you were to select GDM it would make it the default then. Not certain though. When you get the GDM at login, in there I think you can set Gnome as default. It is worth looking at.

Cheers. John.

Hi!

For the default display manager, it happens in the same file (/etc/sysconfig/desktop). The line is (for example):

DISPLAYMANAGER=gdm

AFAIK, valid values are those, case-insensitive: gdm, gnome, kdm, mdkkdm.

Yves.