netscape in but not working [solved]

crundle

I have recently put in the rpm's for netscape, namely netscape-navigator-4.8-3.norlug.i586.rpm and netscape-common-4.8-3.norlug.i586.rpm. they were downloaded, and seemed to go in with no problems, but i can't find where to start navigator in the menu system and i have no idea how to start it in a shell, or to check if it is there. i am running mandrake 2005 and am very happy with it, but I need netscape running to be able to do internet banking, so I can then get rid of windows completely...

I'm hoping its just an easy mistake or omission on my part that will fix this, but i still find the installing thing a bit weird coming from a windows background.

thanks in advance for any help that can be provided,

crundle

:)

Edited by crundle

Try this as root:

rpm -ql netscape-navigator

or

rpm -qa | grep netscape-navigator

to get the full correct name then

rpm -ql netscape-navigator-full-correct-name

You should be able to tell which is the executable. I know netscape's installer from their website puts it in /usr/local/netscape/

You can add it to your menu with kmenuedit if you use KDE or with menudrake.

It's not really a good idea to use non-MDK-specific RPMs until you have more experience as to what can go wrong, but we're here to help if you want to anyway :D

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

um, im still a bit new to this, but this is the response i got:

[root@# rpm -ql netscape-navigator

/etc/X11/applnk/Internet/netscape-navigator.desktop

/usr/bin/netscape-navigator

/usr/lib/netscape/netscape-navigator

i must admit i"m a bit lost with what to do from here, sorry for the lack of knowledge, but i tried to get the one from the netscape website going, but after i did the tar -zxf thing, nothing more really happened and i had no idea how to get it running from there, as there was nothing that really stuck out saying 'press me to run' !!!!

crundle :)

thaks! i found it was /usr/bin/netscape-navigator that needed to be added in the menu editor (which i didn't know existed before). thanks for the speedy help, now if the banking works, i can disconnect xp from the net and jsut use it for games that wont work on linux. this forum is the best - i just hope one day to be able to assist also, rather than just pick everyone else's brains....

crundle, happy as a pig in ....

:beer:

all of that and then i find out that my bank doesnt support linux operating systems, so it looks like the windows partition will live a bit longer... that sucks big time, but netscape works a treat, thanks again for the help and i am slowly picking up bits and pieces as i go along.

crundle

not sure yet really, I will give them a call to find out what is happening, but its a bit if a pain in the ... to not support linux. My xp runs badly on the net, drops out all the time and hangs up, gone through it with several antivirus programs and spyware detectors, but its still really slow, whereas mandrake sails through no problems and is much faster (only got dial up 56k for now) so i will always love linux i think, just a big learning curve to climb in the way things are done.

crundle

scarecrow: please consider just referring to Microsoft products by their proper names, calling them 'Micro$oft Internot Exploder' and such is just a bit juvenile and doesn't really do much for our image as Linux users. We're better, we don't have to be insulting as well. :D