MandrakeUpdate isn't seeing security updates

Guest dturley

Guest dturley

This problem seems to have started afterI did the rmdrake security updates.

I've tried numerous security update sources inMandrakeUpdate, but none of the files get listed. I've been trying nightly since the jan 9 cups advisory. If go to the mirror site directly, the new files are listed. They don't show up when I run mandrakeupdate.

I really don't want to have to download each file "by hand."

Any ideas on what to do to get MD update to show the files as needing updating?

Using MD 8.2

Guest dturley

The updates FINALLTY showed up in update. yet, when it was all done, MD update failed to get kedlibs, libarts2, and dhcp-common. So I had to grab them by hand.

I also noticed that MDupdate deleted abunch of rpms before it even started downloading new ones! Is the the "new feature" mentioned in the update? :-/

Here is what I have found to happen on my system.

I had a similar problem before I really screwed up my system following the same path your currently taking. I re-installed and the problem appeared to go away, however, in following your path, I discovered an update to Mandrake Update (also known as DrakConf). Once I installed that, "my problem" (the one you are headed) went away. Maybe this is why yours did too.

Now, when Mandrake Update works correctly, it will not detect every update because the "missing" updates refer to packages that are not installed on your system. For example, there are updates to TeTex, however, because I do not have that package installed on my system, the updates do not show up in my RPMDrake window.

Now, I am having another problem. It seems that everytime I try to install a "security update", it really screws up my system (usually it hangs the system and I have to hard boot) and after I try to re-update, it tells me that the files do not match the signature and fails. Then I re-start the process and it re-downloads the files and everything is hunky-dory. I try the next "few" updates (because it is impossible to do all of them at the same time) and I repeat the above process.

What a crappy system.

Guest dturley

I did the updated to drakconf, that's when all these problems started. :-/ I was totally impressed with drakconf up til that point. Now I get signature errors, rpms deleted before updateds ones are even installed. And when the update involved more than one packea, like the kde or dhcp updates, some of the needed files are skipped, prompting more warnings. I seems like drakconf deletes some of the rpms first, then doesn't update them becuase they are no longer installed!