Sound-gnome-mandriva-armada 1750 fails [solved]

Guest jllijo

Guest jllijo

Please help.

I have an compaq armada 1750 with mandriva le 2005 (updated several times)

I hava alsa working fine, but I have problems with gnome audio, and I dont know how to solve this.

I describe a few:

- alsa ES18xx works fine (alsamixer and test play tools directly works with alsa).

- gnome volume-control show two mixers (OSS and ALSA mixer).

- esd is started but no gnome sound (events, etc.). Tools like totem, xine, dont want to play anything.

- When I make "esdctl off" an then start a game with "cedega" (a wine flavour) it hangs, but when I make "killall cedega; killall wineserver" seems that sound on gnome works again. Then I start cedega game (second try), and It works perfet, with sound. All the apps works with sound (totem, gnome events, timidity, etc.)

- Then, when I shutdown the computer oss-pcm module fails to stop (or on "service alsa

stop")

I have read a lot, changed a lot of files and confs (gstreams, modprobes, etc...)

I can´t understard the sound on gnome-linux:

alsa, oss, alsa-oss-emulation, esd ?. I have read on unbutu forums problems between esd and alsa, and you have to change lib-oss files for lib-alsa files, but the problem is that in the "esound" mdk package I cant found this files.

Please, I need help with this. Maybe a bad initialization on some esd config file?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by jllijo

Sound in linux: At a most basic level there is a sound architecture. There are 2: alsa and oss. Alsa is the default in linux kernel 2.6.xxxxx and Mandriva uses that. Open a console, log in as roor and type: lsmod. If you see a lot of entries with snd-xxxx it means yo are using alsa. Alsa also provides the driver for your soundcard.

Next level: sound server/mixer: there are many. Most important are dmix (alsa soundserver), esd (gnome soundserver) and arts (kde soundserver). If you have a soundcard that doesn't do hardware mixing you need to have a software mixer to hear multiple sounds (ie: system sounds during a movie or while playing a mp3).

Next level: applications that use sound (music players, movie players, system sounds etcetc)

Your problem: esd isn't very good. Use dmix. Search the board for pointers. https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=24094&hl=dmix

If you need help tell us what you have done and the erros. Good luck.