couple of newby questions

ERD

Hello!, im new to linux, and ill apreciate if you guys could help me out

1.- How do i set something in my path? for example $BROWSER or $JAVA what file must i modify?

2.- im running 10.1 (not LE 2005) on my evo n115 laptop, and i installed both acpi packages and upgraded kernel to latest version (sorry dont remember version), and acpi works fine, but in gnome (and ONLY in gnome, xfce and kde work fine), the battery meter does not work properly, it does report battery level, but does not detect when i switch from AC to battery or viceversa. any way i can fix this? or is there another battery monitor i can use instead? (ibe tried to use klaptop, but doestn work).

3.- ibe read somewhere that there is a driver for my modem (conexiant hsf) specifically for mandrake 10.1, but its NOT free. if someone would happen to have it (or know where i could get it) (free of charge :) ), i would REALLY appreciate it. my email is app_guru@yahoo.com.mx

thanks!!

Edited by ERD

1. Well, that's two different things. To change your path, you should edit ~/.bash_profile (or is it ~/.bashrc ? One of the two), and you will see the line where the path is set. You can just add extra directories to it, following the format of the existing line. If you actually want to set _environment variables_ - which is what $BROWSER and $JAVA would be - you can add a line to one of those files:

export BROWSER=foobar

sorry, my mistake, thats exacly what i want, to set environment variables.

but if i edit bash_profile, it would only apply to one user right? i would like to set them system wide, (for all users)

if i do this in a terminal:

echo $BROWSER

i get: /usr/bin/epiphany

so i need to know what file currently sets $BROWSER so i can modify it to point to firefox, and also to set a couple of extra ones like $JAVA_HOME, etc.

can you tell me what file must i edit?

thanks