newbie question... update/not update...

largegroh

Those of you who have followed my bumpy ride through the 2005 LE install, new NVIDIA dirver install, mouse problems, etc know I am improving but am still very very much a newb.

my question is this: is there enough improvement in kde 3.4 for a newb to try updating from 3.2?

I have read through some of the 3.4 posts and it does not look easy but then I am not sure on everything I am readint either. so yes or no?

:juggle:

Agreed - definitely avoid KDE3.4

Be aware though that once you install 2005, you have the option of updating that system - menu,system,configuration,packaging,MandrakeLinuxUpdate. Take a look at it and decide if, and what you want to. As you probably know, I've been hoping back and forth between 2005 and cooker2006 - mostly just playing, but The last mass of updates failed to fix the 2006 printer prob so I'm back on 2005, and this time I updated everything, and it doesn't seem to have killed the system :cheesy: indeed, it seems to have speeded it up a tad. Just one more thing to be aware of, and something that is very Mandriva specific! :D

Have fun!!!

Kristi

EDIT: by the way, hopping around and asking all sorts of questions like this is precisely what newbies, and not so newbies should do, imnsho!!! :mr-green: Go for it!!!!! :headbang:

I agree with Daniel and Kristi.

There is a big problem regarding the Display Manager, neither KDE or Mandriva have eliminated it yet. I did heaps of screwing around to try to get it to work one way or another. No luck. I tried all the suggested install routines cited here at MUB. It was possible to bypass the problem but not fix it. I got so fed up with it that I have now done a fresh install of Mandriva2005-LeE and just kept it fully updated. (I am on ADSL....So it is fairly easy for me).

It is a hell of a shame considering all the hard and exceptional work done by Thac and his colleagues

and not forgetting KDE as well.

Cheers. John.