I need help installing linux

Guest david.vodafone

Guest david.vodafone

I am a noob of linux, and my first impressions of linux were good how the installer loaded, and went away and did its thing... now, once the install has finished, it wont even load linux... maybe i'm just too much of a noob, but it wont go any further than the loading screen... is there something I must type? or a "special way" of installing linux?

I have mandrakelinux 10.2. please help, or i have the right to totally slag linux for not even booting

Thanks

Edited by david.vodafone

welcome to MUB david.vodafone,

First we must decipher what you mean by "loading screen" :lol:

Is your setup sticking someplace during bootup ? what line is it freezing at ?

Or maybe your sitting at a "command line" ? If so, just type this:

startx

Might want to tell us right away about your graphics card. Please... more info... or we have the right to slag you back :jester:

Guest david.vodafone

lolz sweet as... wat i mean by loading screen is the screen with the loading bar...

it stops working at the line 'Mount USB file system [ok]'

i have a radeon 9200se, and i did the display test thing, and it said it was fine...

that startx didnt manage to do anything sorry

Seeing the lack of responses on this one... I will give it a try ;)

So we are good up to (or about) the point of mounting USB ...

Do we have any USB devices plugged in ? IF so... remove them and see it that gets you any further.

The next steps after that are mounting root and local file systems... If that is the problem ??? I would venture to guess we have a problem with the initial install. I would verify my install CD using md5sum... which is well documented here someplace.

There is also a no apci start up option... or something like that... by pressing F1 for alternate boots that seems to help a lot with other users. (sorry I am not too familiar with this)

good luck :cheesy: