how to install and configure intel wireless?

Hi folks. I am new to linux. Not altogether new but new in the sense that I have never configured things in linux except using its graphical interface. I have a Toshiba centrino laptop which has an Intel wireless card (proset 2200 b/g) and I installed Mandrake linux 10.1 (community version) on it. I downloaded the drivers for this card from intel's site and even tried installing it, but I faced some problems which I can't even understand. It is getting a little frustrating now... I also want to configure samba on it and I want to do it assuming that if samba is configured on my laptop, I will be able to access linux from windows on the same hard drive. Please let me know if I am wrong in thinking this and if I am not, please guide me about it. My priority right now is installing and configuring the wireless card in linux. I request you guys to help me with a straightforward guide to do this. It would be even greater if someone having a toshiba centrino laptop and mandrake 10.1 installed on it can come up with the solution of my problem. I would greatly appreciate the help. Please help as soon as possible. Wish you all a very good day!

There are 2 ways to get wireless working on linux: 1: with linux drivers (mandrake probably has them if they are not to new and you can use the Mandrake Control Center to set it up) 2: with windows drivers using ndiswrapper (see the faqs).

Open a console and type: lspci -v and note the information for your wireless. Then use google to find out how to get it working (if intel has drivers on their site chances are good that Mandrake already has them. No need to install them) (or post the information from lspci -v here, or any errors you are getting and we can have a look at it.)

lspci.txtHi. Thanks for reviewing my message and suggesting the solutions. Well, I have been trying to install the drivers in both the ways for some days now. I downloaded the drivers for my wireless card and tried installing it but in vain. Something strange is that Mandrake 10.1 does have ipw2200 in its module list when I try to configure it through drakconf. If I recall right except for the first time when I ran drakconf, I have never been shown ipw2200 as a default option along with the option of choosing the drivers manually. Now whenever I try installing it it always shows the only option of choosing the drivers manually from a list and there is this module ipw2200. But when I select this module and move on, for a second a window pops up showing it is installing the driver but then suddenly it again takes me back to selecting the driver. To get rid of this thing I installed driverloader, ndiswrapper, even recompiled my kernel(I am not very knowledgeable in this, I just ran the command make in the kernel source directory as I was asked to while installing ndiswrapper). Even after installing ndiswrapper, when I run " iwconfig", I don't get wlan0 as an interface. I get four interfaces, lo, eth0,eth1 and sit0. I don't know if any of them is equivalent to wlan0. I also ran ndiswrapper -m and rebooted my system, but again, no good news. I am attaching the list I got after typing lspci -v as a file for your review. I don't understand why I am facing these problems even though I do everything just right and according to the installation guides. Even my modem doesn't work. It is a modem from Agere and I guess its an AMR. I made a new dial-up connection but when I try connecting through it, it always says the modem is busy. This has happened with all versions of linux I have used which include red hat 7-fedora and mandrake 9.2-10.1. Please help me with these issues. Thanks.

You can load the module manually with modprobe (open a console, log in as root and type: modprobe ipw2200. To check if the module is loaded type: lsmod)

According to this site: http://linuxweblog.com/node/246 the wireless network interface is eth1 (point 6). Follow it from there. (to check if the firmware is installed by mandrake open a console, login as root and type: updatedb. Log out as root and type: locate *ipw2200-fw*. If it isn't installed you need to do it yourself)

Forget about compiling kernels. (Typing make builds the kernel but doesn't install it. For that you need to type make modules_install and make install) Your modem is probably a winmodem (software modem).

Good luck

I also want to configure samba on it and I want to do it assuming that if samba is configured on my laptop, I will be able to access linux from windows on the same hard drive. Please let me know if I am wrong in thinking this and if I am not, please guide me about it.

from the simplistic point of view, this would not happen because windows cannot understand the filesystems used by linux. you will need samba to be running on that system while being able to _read_ the needed partitions.

technically speaking there are applications out there that will allow windows to read an ext2 (ext3?) partition.

my recommendation, use a fat32 partition for sharing information between your systems. thats what i do anyway since its easier and its supported out-of-the-box. :)

ciao!

Hi. Thanks for your suggestions. As a matter of fact, I am having fat32 partitions already. But I wanted to run or say access an application which can be installed only in linux. That application is installed and running in my linux but I wanted to run it in windows thinking installing samba would solve my problem. I hope my problem is clearer now. Please let me know if you have something in mind for this. Thanks.

Hi Augustus. I am sorry to let you know that nothing is working for me. I installed ndiswrapper and when i type ndiswrapper -l it says that wnf51 something hardware is present and ndiswrapper installed. when i type iwconfig it again gives the same response in four lines which says the various interfaces, lo, eth0, eth1 and eth2 do not have wireless extentions. i found out wat extension means and then i tried passing paramateres like essid and all but with all parameters it shows an error that the function is not supported. for example fir essid it says "Set address"(8B1A) failed and that function is not supported. I browsed through the link that had sent me but i cannot move beyond iwconfig. also, i don't know what are the correct vlue of the wireless extentions(i just type "any" for all of them). as far as the firmware goes, as i read in one of the guides, it asked me to load those files in lib/hotplug/firmware and i copied all the six files of fw along woth the license in it. i typed locate ipw2200-fw but it did not show anything. when i type modprobe iow2200 it doesnt who nething. it just comes up with the prompt. i don't know or understand what command i hgave to type to connect to wireless and what will happen afterwards. i don't know how to connect either because the graphical as well as text drakconnects are useless for me. with them i have the same problem as i mentioned in my last message. this is getting on my nerves...:)). please help...