Konqueror and/or mounting issues?

Urza9814

Ok...for a while here it looked like my entire windoze C drive had been formatted totally. Now I get the feeling it's a linux problem...problem is it's not in the bootloader, I don't wanna risk reinstalling without a backup, and linux can't make a backup. Anyways, I used harddrake to mount the drive, and it appears to work fine...but here's the weird part...I open it in konqueror, and there's nothing there. Not even the usually garbage files seen in a corrupt file. Ok, I just about freak out there, thinking my mom's gonna kill me if I screwed this up again and can't get the stuff back...so my first instinct is to look for recovery tools...the ones that run on linux won't read FAT32 though...so I'm about to post here looking for one when I think of something...I go to the properties of /mnt/win_c on konqueror...it says it's 38gigs...I go there on harddrake, and it says 10...and it should be 10. I then tried nautilus, gets the same thing, properties says it contains nothing...but it says 'Volume: Root Volume', and the folder has these weird stripes on the icon...oh, and guess what? my / drive is 39GB.

Hmm...konqueror says size: 4.00KB...and space on disk: 34 of 38GB...same space on disk as /

Oh, and properties on /dev/hda1 show the same size...

So, as I've been writing this and trying things as I wrote it, I think I've gotten a pretty good idea of what the problem is...but no idea how to fix it. Anyone got any ideas?

...and if you say I have to reinstall imma be getting quite annoyed...'cause I've already had to do that TWICE today! stupid 10.1...

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Edited by Urza9814

ok...now linux won't even boot...says the whole drive is corrupted...one last question...is it possible that my cheap, crappy, $30 QDI mobo is the cause of this? That thing's caused so many problems......and this is not the first time I've had this particular problem on this comp, and I just got it for christmas!