orbit-root and orbit-user folders [solved]

Guest steve253

Guest steve253

Mandrake 10.1

In my /home/steve/tmp/ folder there are two folders that show up: orbit-root and orbit-steve.

These two folders are empty except for socket icons. I have tried changing them to hidden files, and I have tried deleteing them, but they keep coming back and the ones I changed to 'hidden' remain hiddened.

Any way to make them permenently hiddened or deleted? To be honest, I don't know what their function is. I never saw them in Mandrake 9.2

Thanks for any help to "point-to" advise.

Steve

[moved from Everything Linux by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

ORBit is an intra-application messaging system, I think it needs those files to be there. No-one ever got burned by leaving 'em alone...I tend to leave /tmp and ~/tmp directories entirely to the system, if I need a 'temporary' / junk directory of my own, I create and use ~/temp instead. Keeps my own junk and the system's separate.

Edited by adamw

Guest steve253
ORBit is an intra-application messaging system, I think it needs those files to be there. No-one ever got burned by leaving 'em alone...I tend to leave /tmp and ~/tmp directories entirely to the system, if I need a 'temporary' / junk directory of my own, I create and use ~/temp instead. Keeps my own junk and the system's separate.

Sounds good to me. I'll take your advise and leave them alone. I was just curious because I did not see them in the other renditions of Mandrake I had been using.

Thanks for the reply.

Steve