Creating a Mandrake 10.1 Boot Diskette [solved]

Aomighty

I read online that instead of using a bootloader, like Lilo or Grub, you could set your MBR to Windows and then create a Linux boot diskette so when you start your system with the floppy in (and have the BIOS set to boot from floppy first obviously), it will boot from Linux (assuming you already installed in). Otherwise, it will boot Windows. How would I create a Mandrake 10.1 boot diskette and do I do it from Linux or Windows?

Thanks.

as far as i know, the mandriva/mandrake installer gives you the option to create a bootdisk before finishing the installation. thus it will erase all data on the floppy and make linux bootable via floppy, not touching your windows bootloader. there should be an option for this in the mandrake-control-center, too, i guess. but take a look at the faq-section of this board, there should be a howto for bootdisks. ;)

I think what you will need to look for is the option to install the bootloader to a floppy. What once was know as a bootdisk or bootfloppy put the kernel and initrd.img (initial ram disk image, contains drivers needed to boot the system) on a floppy, so booting the floppy actually loaded the kernel. Anymore, the kernel as shipped is too big to fit on a floppy, so that type of bootfloppy can not be made. If you put the bootloader on a floppy, booting from that will present you with a bootloader menu, where you can choose the normal linux boot, a failsafe mode, windows, etc.