Mandriva LE 2005 login problem

Donald

I have just installed Mandriva Limited Edition2005 on my laptop (emachines M5116). I already have XP and Suse (hda1 = XP, hda3 = Suse, hda5 = Mandriva, hda6 = swap, hda7 = data).

I can boot up and login to Mandriva fine as root, and connect to the internet with no problem (Speedtouch USB modem).

On booting, I get the display manager with welcome to local host, username and password and I can put myself in as root with my root password. This takes me no delay to the splashscreen and kde loads as normal. When I do this with my user name and user password I get my splashscreen background and the eggtimer doing somersaults on the screen but nothing else. It stays that way, and does not come up with the splash screen and proceed to load up kde (or any other window manager).

I've tried checking everything I can think of but cannot find anything to tell why I can't get logged on as user.

Any ideas?

Don

are you trying to log into a shared /home directory (=the one you already use with suse)? if this is the case, there will be a conflict of the suse config files with those of mandriva, i guess. try creating a new user as root and log into that account. if it works, you've got the answer.

I keep separate home directories for each distro, and I've tried creating a new user as root but still get the same problem. I can only guess that system is searching trying to do something and not achieving it, but it could be I don't know.

Don

log into your system as root and search for error messages in your /var/log directory. take a look at them and post anything relevant you might find there, as well as in the /home directory of your user accounts (e.g. /home/user1/xsession-errors).

:)

I'm not sure what might be relevant - this is at the end of my /var/log/messages file. I have no xsession-errors file.

Don

May 16 20:45:22 localhost kdm_config[9277]: Unrecognized key 'ServerVTs' in section [General] at /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc:4

May 16 20:45:22 localhost kdm_config[9277]: Unrecognized key 'GreeterPosFixed' in section [X-*-Greeter] at /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc:41

May 16 20:45:22 localhost kdm_config[9277]: Unrecognized key 'GreeterPosX' in section [X-*-Greeter] at /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc:42

May 16 20:45:22 localhost kdm_config[9277]: Unrecognized key 'GreeterPosY' in section [X-*-Greeter] at /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc:43

May 16 20:45:22 localhost kdm_config[9277]: Invalid option value 'All' at /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc:52

May 16 20:45:23 localhost kernel: mtrr: 0xd8000000,0x8000000 overlaps existing 0xd8000000,0x1000000

May 16 20:45:37 localhost kde3(pam_unix)[9280]: session opened for user donald by (uid=0)

May 16 20:46:58 localhost smbd[5527]: [2005/05/16 20:46:58, 0] printing/print_cups.c:cups_cache_reload(85)

May 16 20:46:58 localhost smbd[5527]: Unable to connect to CUPS server localhost - Connection refused

Guest Adriano1

Just two quick questions:

-are you using selinux?

-are you using reiserfs (or some other journaled filesystem such as jfs, xfs, ext3)?

Because those two things are mutually incompatible, and the end effect (at least _one_ end effect) is the one you mention. At least selinux with reiser. I reinstalled Fedora Core 3 three times before reading _that_ note.

Edited by Adriano