I'm desperate....

Phantom

I'm desperate now, after 4 days trying I need to give up.... :help:

First i tried the 2005 64bit edition :

- Installs fine altough it's a very basic edition as not a lot software is available

- MY WIFI IS WORKING through ndiswrapper (BROADCOM netbc564 driver)

- ATI is NOT working

- No way to install vmware, or many other softs

Then I tried 2005 32bit DVD version

- Great install, LOADS of software :thumbs:

- MY WIFI JUST WON'T WORK !!!!!!!!!!! :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

- ATI is working (almost) it installs, fglx_gears gives me 450.000 fps, but still no games will start, they all make the pc reboot.

- Vmware installs fine

- Did the stupid thing 2X to upgrade witht the THAC KDE 3.4 which makes my machine stop at the logon prompt, from there no way to log on, accepts password, starts something and quits back to logon screen.

So, I'm frustrated, I was first so happy to see all the good things that Linux has now but this is killing me, I need to know what to do.

I think that I'm gonna try a last time to get the 32bit edition installed, or what do you guys advice ? other distri ?

Also tell me quickly if this is Mandriva related as I'm getting for my birthday from the wife :woops: the boxed Mandriva Powerpack + Club membership 1Y + Transgaming 1Y B)

Edited by Phantom

You need to avoid KDE 3.4. It is not appropriate for beginners.

What you are installing (free version) is a subset of your birthday present. Your birthday present will install the ATI drivers without effort from you. That will make things easier.

daniel is correct about the kde3.4

Despite thac and his collegues hard work, KDE-KDM is a mess. Following other peoples help I have managed to get round the problems but not actually eliminating them.

One flaw which needs to be fixed quickly by Mandriva for the sake of keeping newcomers staying with Mandriva is to fix the fact that when installing the nvidia driver, the appropiate entry <nvidia> is not automatically made in /etc/modprobe.preload, so they end up wondering how the heck they get from the text mode and into the Kde GUI.

At the present I can only get into my Mandriva with kde3.4 by means of safemode. This is where I am at at the moment.

I have the same kdm login fault as our new friend. If you try to go into root, it just does not register the password as you type it in so you go nowhere. So either way, root or your account, you are cactus

I thought this had been fixed in thacs latest releases but when I rebooted back I found the problem still there.

This is obviously a kde fault and nothing of thacs doing. I am now thinking about installing some extra Gnome desktop packages so I can boot into it, and from there delete the entire kde 3.4 packages and the reinstall all of Mandrivas kde 3.3packages (updated of course, naturally).

To those who want to use the same way to get into their Mandriva the same way as I do, it is very simple. Here is the go.

At your boot menu, select safemode.

It will take you through to a text prompt. At that prompt, type init 3 (note the space there) and press ENTER. It will then do a setup run and finally come to a LOGIN PROMPT where you type in your account name (or root if you want to go there) press enter then type your password and then enter again. Finally type in startx or kde and press enter again. This should take you straight into your account.

Hope this is of some help to you and others.

Cheers. John.

I was maybe desperate but I didn't give up on it :afro:

For the last 12H I have installing, updating, erasing and installing again, I guess 6-7 installs since this morning.

At the end I kept Mandrive 2005LE 32bit with KDE 3.3, that seems to be stable.

The ATI drivers are working, fgl_gears is reporting 720.000 FPS wich looks pretty good for my Mobility 9700 :cheesy:

I had to reinstall about an hour ago because I made a mistake with the partitions, I used the Auto Partition option during DON'T USE IT!!!!!!!!!! for a 60GB HD they set up a 5GB / , a 1GB SWAP and all the rest under /HOME :wall:

AussieJohn is right about the drivers. For an OS to work you need Driver support or you won't catch the publics attention.

Talking about drivers, I'm still facing this strange issue with my Wifi Broadcom 4306 card, she works nicely in MD 64Bit but no way to get her working in MD 32bit, I'm getting errors that the ndisdriver can't be loaded. Any ideas ?? :help:

I added the script I used to get the ATI drivers installed, very nice script

Edited by Phantom

Here is some more info reference the Display Manager fiasco in Mandriva2005LE and using thacs kde3.4.

After getting into Mandriva -->your account, Open up Mandrake Control Centre.

In MCC ------> Systems ------------->Choose the display manager that enables to select which user to log in. You will most likely see at least 3 choices namely KDM, MdkKDM and XDM. I found that if I selected MdkKDM, I got exactly the same problem as I encountered when selecting KDM.

This time I decided to try selecting XDM. Here is the great news. It works.

Its login panel is plain and actually ugly but that does not matter a damn because it just works. So I do not have to get rid of kde3.4 after all. I think it also further shows that Mandriva and KDE are the source of the fault and NOT thacs teams work.

It may even be Mandriva having something odd which when Kde3.4 is installed, Mandriva screws up kde. Who knows ??. I certainly don't but I am sure the excellent programmers will solve it soon.

The only sad part is that one has to use a console or terminal such as Konsole to either type reboot or halt (shutdown) other than just moving from account to account or root. This is because there are only login options in XDM at least so far as I can tell.

But to reboot or shut down does not seem to require a password, but I guess that would depend on your own setup parameters.

Any we are all Go. Now I am using the kernel etc., that I wanted whereas the failsafe mode uses the default kernel. There is a noticeable difference in my opinion but then that could be just me and wishful thinking.

Cheers. JB.

humm, I got Mandriva working all nicely with KDE-3.4/KDM,

I didn't install KDE when installed Mandriva, then installed thac's KDE, then

reinstalled KDM.

Edited by solarian

I finnaly found why my Wifi isn't working on the 32bit edition.

It seems that Ndiswrapper is trying some funcky call to the kernel wich makes the kernel go "oops" due to the AMD64 NX protection code.

2 ways out of this, roll back the kernel to a version that doesn"t support NX protection or try a patch.

I did find a patch but I can't apply it, the files it needs to patch are located elsewhere in Mandriva.

diff -Nru 3rdparty/ndiswrapper.origi/loader.c 3rdparty/ndiswrapper/loader.c
--- 3rdparty/ndiswrapper.origi/loader.c 2005-03-27 00:01:14.000000000 +0100
+++ 3rdparty/ndiswrapper/loader.c       2005-03-27 15:52:21.516208992 +0200
@@ -427,7 +427,9 @@
#error x86_64 should have either PAGE_KERNEL_EXECUTABLE or PAGE_KERNEL_EXEC
#endif
#else
-               pe_image->image = vmalloc(load_driver->sys_files[i].size);
+               pe_image->image = __vmalloc(load_driver->sys_files[i].size,
               +                                           GFP_KERNEL | __GFP_HIGHMEM,
               +                                           __pgprot(__PAGE_KERNEL & ~_PAGE_NX));
#endif
               if (!pe_image->image) {
                                               ERROR("couldn't allocate memory");
                                               diff -Nru 3rdparty/ndiswrapper.origi/pe_linker.c 3rdparty/ndiswrapper/pe_linker.c
                                                       --- 3rdparty/ndiswrapper.origi/pe_linker.c      2005-02-23 18:31:44.000000000 +0100
                                                       +++ 3rdparty/ndiswrapper/pe_linker.c    2005-03-27 15:50:01.166545384 +0200
                                                       @@ -428,7 +428,8 @@
                                                        #error x86_64 should have either PAGE_KERNEL_EXECUTABLE or PAGE_KERNEL_EXEC
                                                        #endif
                                                        #else
                                                       -       image = vmalloc(image_size);
                                               +       image = __vmalloc(image_size, GFP_KERNEL | __GFP_HIGHMEM,
                                                               +                         __pgprot(__PAGE_KERNEL & ~_PAGE_NX));
                                                #endif
                                                       if (image == NULL) {
                                                                               ERROR("failed to allocate enough space for new image:"

This is from my syslog:

localhost kernel: NX (Execute Disable) protection: active

localhost kernel: ndiswrapper version 1.1 loaded (preempt=no,smp=no)
May 15 00:18:11 localhost kernel: kernel tried to execute NX-protected page - exploit attempt? (uid: 0)
May 15 00:18:11 localhost kernel: Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address f1228ef4
May 15 00:18:11 localhost kernel:  printing eip:
May 15 00:18:11 localhost kernel: f1228ef4
May 15 00:18:11 localhost kernel: *pde = a5507ea4
May 15 00:18:11 localhost kernel: Oops: 0011 [#2]

phantom: grab the -i686-up-4GB kernel and use that, it's compiled without NX support (we did this so we have a kernel that works on new model Centrinos, the fact that it solves this ndiswrapper problem is a happy accident...), should work.

phantom: grab the -i686-up-4GB kernel and use that, it's compiled without NX support (we did this so we have a kernel that works on new model Centrinos, the fact that it solves this ndiswrapper problem is a happy accident...), should work.

I'm gonna give it a go tonight.

I've downloaded Kubuntu in the hope that would solve my issues but upon reading more on different linux sites people are labeling it as a hype or a fashion thing, nothing that will last.

Now I'm on 2005LE 64bit and everything is working (Hardware) but now software issues are showing up, Cedega 4.3.2 and Point2Play 1.3.3 are giving me trouble.

Point2Play is looking for GTK libs in /lib but they are in /lib64 which it seems to be ignoring.

I'm not surprised by this, 64bit is coming but it's not fully there yet.

Anyway, I was very happy to get my hardware sorted during this install but now it's software, so tonight I'm back reinstalling :wall: I'll get there one day, but Windows is not coming back.

In Dutch they have a saying : De aanhouder wint (The one that never gives up shall win) :thumbs:

Works like a charm :thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks:

• 1 month later...
Guest edgarcillo

Hello just to say that Im using Mandriva LE 2005 with a KDE 3.4.1 and everything work greate. I juat Install KDE from contrib because the package from athac are the KDE 3.4.2 wich supose to be unestable. yo if you install it from contrib i think everything should be ok.

Im usin an ATI graphic card, Radeon 7500, with my IBM Thinkpad T30 and work greate. glxgears show around 1300 and 1400 FPS, sure I make some change in config stuf.

everything in my Laptop is working out of the box includind my wireless, so im really happy with this version of Mandrake, mandriva now. and kde 3.4 is greate