Frozen Firefox [solved]

neilinoz

Firefox has frozen on me - I'm typing this out of Mozilla 1.7.2

It happened 3 days ago. I was downloading some extension updates - I can't remember which ones but I do have tabbrowser, download manager tweak, stumble upon and nuke anything.

It has worked a couple of times. But most of the time it sits there with a blank screen. According to my Gnome system monitor, it is "Sleeping".

I hope this hasn't anything to do with the security fault. I can't remember which version it is, but I'm fairly sure that it is 1.2 or 1.0.2 or something.

What can I do?

Update: It seems that it is partially running. When Firefox appears the screen is basically all white except for some toolbars. When I click on the toolbars, nothing happens though. But when I Right click on the screen, I can do things like reload the page or examine the source and all the other things that you can do when you rightclick. But still no image on the screen, and the toolbars don't work still.

Edited by anon

i experienced something like this when i downloaded switchproxy, a proxy settings switcher. the culprit was that the extension was trying to find updates of itself and the site it tries to connect to is not always available. the solution was to disable the auto-update by adding the following in the pref.js file

user_pref("switchproxy.update.notify", false);

you might want to troubleshoot which extension is causing that *hang* effect by disabling it. i dont know the actual convention of extension developers but it should look something like this

user_pref("<name of extension>.enabled", false);

but then again it might have something between the name of the extension and the ".enabled" property. the google notifier has a lot of those.

ciao!

SCIM: im_module_init

Loading IMEngine module: socket ...

Loading IMEngine Factory 0 ... : OK

Loading IMEngine Factory 1 ... : OK

socket IMEngine module is successfully loaded.

*** Failed to load overlay chrome://flashblock/content/flashblock.xul

i experienced something like this when i downloaded switchproxy, a proxy settings switcher. the culprit was that the extension was trying to find updates of itself and the site it tries to connect to is not always available. the solution was to disable the auto-update by adding the following in the pref.js file

user_pref("switchproxy.update.notify", false);

you might want to troubleshoot which extension is causing that *hang* effect by disabling it. i dont know the actual convention of extension developers but it should look something like this

user_pref("<name of extension>.enabled", false);

but then again it might have something between the name of the extension and the ".enabled" property. the google notifier has a lot of those.

ciao!

I haven't done this one yet. The reason is that I sort of cottoned on to the idea that it might be an extension that was causing a problem. So what I did was that when it managed to work yesterday, I uninstalled all the extensions with the idea of installing them again once everything had been fixed.

Found this at https://do-not-add.mozilla.org/extensions/m...numpg=10&id=433

Developer Comments:

*** WARNING ***

Do not use Firefox's autoupdate mechanism to update Flashblock! This will not work, and some users have reported chrome corruption. To update Flashblock, you must manually uninstall it following the instructions on our website before reinstalling it.

This is due to a bug in Firefox's extension manager which will be fixed in Firefox 1.1.

See http://flashblock.mozdev.org/ for more information.

This seems to be the heart of the problem. I will follow the instructions and see what happens...

And it was... I am now typing this in Firefox. I guess the lesson to be learned from this is to have Mozilla or another browser installed "Just in Case"...