mount usb filesystem error

v0id

i just finished installing mandrake, and when i rebooted, i selected linux from the bootloader and the progress bar would stop at about 20%, i press ESC to view it in verbose mode and it apparently stopped at 'mount usb filesystem'.. i can type stuff, but ctrl+alt+del doesnt work, and the only way to restart (that i know of) is using the power button.

edit: doesnt work in failsafe either

edit2: its a laptop, and there are no usb devices, i tried all the differnet options on the bootloader menu, it always stops at mount usb filesystem, i dont even get the [ok] part.

Edited by v0id

Bios changes could have an effect on any os installed. But it would be a good way to test the hypothesis that the usb files system mount is the issue or just a symptom.

i tried everything i could think of, windows works fine, there is no usb option in my bios and none of the linux options work (they all stop at mount usb filesystem)...

how can i fix this? im eager to try out linux for the first time :D

when you get to the point where it's stuck but you can type, try this...

hold alt, press and hold 'sysrq' (it's probably twinned with 'print screen up to the right of the function keys), press 'e'. If that produces nothing, alt+sysrq+i. See if that kickstarts the boot (it'll probably be a bit broken, but it might get to a point we can start diagnosing the problem).

hp pavilion dv1152ea (its brand new)

i tried alt+sysrq+i and alt+sysrq+e, heres what i got:

Mount USB filesystem

SysRq : Changing Loglevel

Loglevel set to 5

SysRq : Terminate All Tasks

Init: Entering runlevel: 5

/etc/rc.d/rc: line 74: /var/run/runleve.dir: read-only file system

-----

thats it

i reinstalled it, i got a new option on the boot loader (pre2.4 or something), i selected that, all runs well, then when it loads the GUI, i get a seriously distorted image, like 5 screens interlaced into each other, i cant do anything, so i did alt+sysrq+i/e and i ended up in the 'command prompt', what can i do here? the only command i figured out so far is.. help and cd.. and dirs

any help is appreciated

EDIT:

i tried 'startx' and got 2 fatal errors:

could not open default font 'fixed'

and

fatal io error 104 (conn reset by peer) on x server ":0.0"

after 0 requests 0 known process with 0 events remaining

it says please check the log file at /var/log/x0rg.0.log

final edit:

it works perfectly under the pre*.* option, but under linux/failsafe and linux-fmb it doesnt work at all.. also, my wireless internet driver wont work :\

Edited by v0id

i already did an md5 check and the cd has been burned twice..

when the bootloader loads, i get 5 options:

linux

linux-nonfb

2427-0pre21

failsafe

windows

2427-0pre21 and windows are the only options that work, im not sure why..

could this be because i only installed using 1 cd?

i reinstalled (clean reinstall, formatted etc..) mandrake using all 3 cds this time.. and i STILL get that damn 'usb mount filesystem' freeze.. i tried everything, i googled high and low and i keep coming up with nothing. so far the only thing that worked was '2427-0pre21' in the bootloader, but now thats gone, could anyone tell me how to reenable that?