Braindead handling of USB devices in 2005LE

ffrr

I plugged in a USB MP3 player, and looking at the syslog, it tried to assign address 2, which gave an error, so it assigned address 3, which worked, it waited for it to settle then scanned it, and assigned it to /dev/sdb. The icon appears on KDE's desktop OK labelled 'Generic SND1 MP3 Player'.

I copied some files to it, and umounted it, then went away to listen to the mp3 files.

2 hours later I return and insert the player again. This time Mandriva tries to assign address 4, get's the same error (-110) tries 5, which works. It scans the device and assigns it as /dev/sdc :o

The desktop is still showing the icon for /dev/sdb (as I discovered by trying to mount it using the icon's context menu)

I tried to mount /dev/sdc manually, but no entry in fstab. So I sued to root and added one (for /dev/sdc). I manually mount it, now I have 2 icons on the desktop. The original one for /dev/sdb is showing as mounted (little green triangle), and there's another called Hard Disc (sdb).

Yep, they're both /dev/sdb !! :wall: This is going to be a royal pain if it keeps this up.

What a total screwup! :angry:

PS: I had a similar problem this morning when my Palm pilot switched from /dev/ttyUSB1, to ttyUSB3 and back again, between hotsyncs.

Hope they fix this, but I don't expect so as it was broken in different ways in 10.1 !!!