Slow Internet Browsing

JungMin

I am pretty new to Linux. I installed MDK10.1 and had it working perfectly (except for slow browsing) and I just upgraded to 10.2 and everything is working fine (except for slow browsing). I must say, CONGRATS Mandrake......Both of my installations went flawlessly and everything works great, except one thing.

I have high speed internet access (3 MB/s), no router, running Mandrake 10.2, direct connection to the internet, no other computers on a network.

I have windows XP on dual boot and the internet through windows is very fast. But not through linux. Its very slow. I've seen the mods for Firefox and done them, but it doesnt really speed things up - alteast to the same speed as in Windows.

Bare with me as i am just learning Linux. But please help.....It's one of those things that makes me wanna use windows, because the internet is fast.

Thanks in advance....

hey i was having the same problem and the thing that i was told to do was this open up your /etc/resolv.conf file and for example my resolv.conf file only have these 3 lines

nameserver 192.168.1.1

nameserver 168.243.165.225

nameserver 168.243.165.226

192.168.1.1 /its my router

168.243.165.225 /its my isp first dns server

168.243.165.226 /the 2nd dns server

i put those 3 lines and the internet goes up a little bit but not too much i have to say :( maybe some other give us any other idea

i also was told to intall a bind , and cache for my speeds to go up but i havent yet

Edited by rdoggsv

• 2 weeks later...