Mozilla and application associations

hugerobot

When I click on a link to a Windows Media Video file (*.wmv) in Mozilla, it tries to open the file like a webpage and puts garbage in the browser window.

How do I change this? In Preferences/Helper Applications, I added a new association to mplayer, but I dont know if it's correct.

Here is how I set it up:

Description: Windows Media Video

File Extension: wmv

Mime Type: video/x-ms-wmv

Application to use: mplayer

There is also a Reset button at the bottom of that dialog that says it will clear my file opening preferences and ask me before opening files. I clicked that too.

Needless to say, it didn't work. These wmv files open fine if I save them and then run mplayer manually, but why can't I get this to work properly in mozilla?

It may be that the current version of mozilla does not recognize that mime type. What I would do is try the Windows version of Mozilla (or get someone else who has both programs) to try it there. Also, if there is no final three letter mime type in the Mozilla list why do you need three extra characters in front of it. Is this Gill Bates revenge on Mozilla?

Counterspy

I "had" it working on my system until I hosed it and had to re-install (deleting my install of MPLayer). Now, I'm waiting until my system stablizes (lots of other issues).

Anyhoo, here's a couple things one might forget about (one stupid and one not):

Have you tried putting a period in front of WMV for the extension in your file association to see if that matters?

Also, did you install the Win32 Codecs and the WMV Codecs before compiling MPlayer, so that MPlayer recognized that you had them and compiled them into the program?